• NYA service to Belmont Park

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

by Legio X

I have'nt seen anything spotted by NYA at Belmont for awhile now. Hope they still have the business.

by RRChef

Keep in mind that there isn't racing at this time of the year at Belmont and many horses are moved to other parts of the country where racing is in season. Let's see what happens comes the spring time.
  by Knife-Switch

there isn't racing at this time of the year at Belmont and many horses are moved to other parts of the country where racing is in season
To Clarify,
The NY Racing Season is currently in full swing at Aqueduct aka "Aquedump". Thus begging the Q when will we start shipping Hay/Straw to Ozone Team? Training continues at Belmont and there are still horses stabled there.

Here's a Q for NY Historians which happened first: MTA took over the Rockaway RR line or Aqueduct being built to replace Jamaica Race track? Follow-up: Were Jamaica or Aqueduct ever served by freight...? I believe Ziel actually has a few photos of very primative wooden platforms at Jamaica circa 1926.

Finally if you check the NYAR newsletter, there is talk of box cars of bagged oats (like rice cars) coming in the Spring. Also everybody knows the real money is in Sh--. When looking south on the ML through Queens Interlocking at night, you can see the trailer trucks lined up to take manure south to 'Shroom Farms. So the question is when does Belmont become a real --itty job???

by Legio X

Did'nt Jay mention something about hay possibly getting shipped to Richmond Hill team yard for the horses at Aqueduct? That should be good for the NYA. Looks like there's room in the yard for Aqueduct-bound boxcars. The trackage in that yard could use an upgrade though.

by Legio X

Two boxcars were spotted at Belmont today, a nondescript brown one and a dark blue one. The dark blue car was being unloaded when I passed by on the C.I.P. going home at 1550.

by Legio X

A lone BNSF hi-cube boxcar is spotted at Belmont.

by Legio X

Have'nt seen anything spotted at Belmont since a lone TBOX hi-cube was spotted a few weeks ago. Is NYA service suspended at Belmont with the racing season to soon start again, and the LIRR's using the terminal? They emptied the terminal of gondolas and hoppers recently. There are a couple of old flatcars, and some M.oW. equipment left, but that could be moved anytime.
  by freightguy

The RS-30 is supposed to spot another TBOX car at Belmont today(4/28). If done it will most likely happen Eastbound around mid-morning.

by Legio X

I saw the TBOX yesterday. Nice looking car, from my vantage point passing by on the Cross Island Pkwy. It has'nt been tagged yet by the "socio-economically disenfranchised young people" of Queens Village.

by b&p rupture

Legio X wrote:It has'nt been tagged yet by the "socio-economically disenfranchised young people" of Queens Village.
that's using a lot of words to say "punks"

by Legio X

I would've used the word we use to describe the same at work, (savages), but that might've caused an uproar, and I fear getting banned again like last year for being politically incorrect.....

by Spartan Phalanx

Saw NYA spotting a single BNSF boxcar at Belmont today, around 1240. They just backed the whole train into the station. There were a bunch of empty centerbeam flatcars in front of it. I couldn't see the power. I guess because of the empties this was a westbound train, and that BNSF boxcar (it always seems to be a BNSF boxcar) had to go back and forth until a westbound back to Fresh Pond could spot it. Do eastbounds ever serve Belmont, using the east leg of the wye? Thanks.

by grumpyoldman

As of 10:00 AM today they were unloading the carload of feed. They had just finished unloading the East side of the car and were working on the West side.

http://jovos.smugmug.com/photos/241813333-L.jpg

John

http://jovos.smugmug.com/Trains
Last edited by grumpyoldman on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by The Tenth Legion

Saw the 261 and 156 pull into Queens Village station this afternoon around 1425 with three boxcars and an empty centerbeam flatcar. They then pushed back east through the interlocking to Belmont to get the empty BNSF boxcar that had been spotted there.