• My plan to help Amtrak Reduce Losses

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:Quite frankly, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Horizon cars, or the Amfleets, so there's no reason to sell them. It's cheaper to refurbish an existing car than to buy a new one.

Bonds have to be paid back, plus interest, raising your annual expenses. As for "get[ting] the government to pay for some...stuff," well, if life were that easy...
Never thought of that the Horizon Cars problems also it would require us to cut more Mangement Emplyoees. I think Amtrak should go to the states and add more trains on current routes without a hugh funding increase.

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

Why would it require more management cuts? You would have to sell probably 10 Horizons to pay for one new car, so just order fewer new cars.
  by orulz

While we'd all like to see Amtrak get the money that it's requesting to replace outdated equipment and improve the level of service, the likelyhood that congress will write them a check to do so in the near future is basically nil. So without a properly funded Amtrak, passenger rail in the US will limp along eternally in its present, far from ideal state. Right?

Wrong. I hope.

I think that what a goodly chunk of our representatives dislike is Amtrak itself, not passenger rail service. I think that many in the house and senate make the distinction between the physical infrastructure and the corporation that operates the trains, and therefore are willing to spend money to improve passenger rail service, just not in the form of a direct subsidy to Amtrak. I'll use examples from the southeast (where I live) to back that statement up.

In places where both state and local government as well as the freight railroads are willing to cooperate and foot part of the bill for a particular incremental upgrade, there's the potential for a big injection of funds from capital hill in the form of matching grants. For example: VRE's new bridge on the CSX mainline over Quantico Creek in Virginia, which is currently under construction, is being built with federal assistance. The federal government is also helping to fund the design stages of sweeping infrastructure changes, such as the proposed restoration of the Seaboard Air Line from Petersburg to Raleigh, as a part of the Southeast High Speed Rail corridor. There have even been hints that the federal government may help to foot the bill.

While these corridor-style improvements may not mean new sleepers and diners for long-distance trains, Amtrak does stand to benefit greatly from better on-time performance provided by the new infrastructure and the prestige that may come from operating such future services. All this can only serve to improve Amtrak's public image.

by AmtrakFan

The Order will be cut
15 Rail Diesel Cars same as last time
80 Auto Racks down from 90
170 LD coaches down from 400
325 Corridor Coaches down from 550
50 Diners down from 80
50 Crew Dorms down from 70
No New Baggage Cars
30 Baggage Dorms up from 25
Keep all the Amfleet expect wrecked ones and ALL Horizon Cars
Superliner
120 More Superliner Sleepers down from 180
220 Superliner Coaches down from 340
30 Crew Cars down from 80
50 Diners still the same
35 Coach Baggages up from 25
20 Lounges down from 40
Switchers
15 Green Goats Served in LA, Seattle, Chicago, New Orelans, Denver and Houston
New Routes
Chicago to Miami
Chicago-MSP-Billings-Seattle
New York to KC thru Sleeper to LA
Seattle-Billings-Denver-Dallas-Houston
Chicago to LA via Las Vegas
Add a Daily Sunset west of New Orelans and a 4 frequency east of New Orelans
MSP/Chicago-KC-Houston
More Corridor Service eg Chicago to St. Louis, Chicago to MSP, Chicago to Detroit, Chicago to Indy/Cinncattai, Cleveland to Cinncatai, LA to SFO, Seattle to Portland, Double Daily Tampa to Miami
Bring back the Broadway Limited
Bring back the International via Detroit
Add Double Daily Seattle to Spokane
Extend the Hiawahta to Madison
Horizon and Amfleet will be refurbished also. Sell the P40's.

AmtrakFan

by boyishcolt

Mr fan
much of the rail lines you refer to for additional passenger trains are jammed now and are in poor shape for passenger service.which would mean many speed restrictions.
All the major railroads still can not recover there capital cost on major rebuilds that would have to be done (and needs to be done) the web site you keep refering to is really a wishfull thinking dream, none of that can be done unless there are billions of dollars spent on the rail road tracks road beds etc.etc.etc. and even if all of those trains did run. is there really that much demand??
there is and will be always be a demand for passenger rail service but the car is king and the bird is seconed and thats not going to change.we should consentrate on what we have for rail service and try to keep it and work within what is realistic
  by baldie

"I think that what a goodly chunk of our representatives dislike is Amtrak itself, not passenger rail service. I think that many in the house and senate make the distinction between the physical infrastructure and the corporation that operates the trains, and therefore are willing to spend money to improve passenger rail service, just not in the form of a direct subsidy to Amtrak. "

Not to totally disagree (or agree either), but most of our representataives don't have a clue about how transportation works or how Amtrak is supposed to function. They see government subsidies for roads and airlines as good, and government subsidies for railroad passengers as bad. They will spend billions annually on airline subsidies (because they fly?) while demanding party unity and punishing any legislator to dares to listen to his/her constituents who actually use intercity trains. They'll provide money so privately owned railroads can improve their bottom lines (and hence the politicans campaign funds), but are cheap beyond belief at improving (or building new) rail line passengers.

And "High Speed Rail" is the straw man that makes a mockery of the whole thing. Who acutally believes that the feds, while whining about a bilion annually for an entire national system will fund billions for high speed corridors which will still not improve mobility across the nation! HSR is more subsidy for private contractors, engineers, and planners. And while that money is being wasted, they do nothing to help in the here and now.

Much of the chatter about "rationalizing" Amtrak, or breaking it up to make it more efficient is simpley smoke to hide the dismemberment of the national system. Show me how removing one leg of a race horse makes it faster or more efficient. Show me how putting an athlete on a 50 calorie a day diet will make his/her performace better! Show me how depending on the freight railroads' good will has resulted in on time trains!

Here in California, the state has been a partner for over 30 years in improving Amtrak service. Amtrak in Califoria has made remarkable progress with more service, new equipment, new and rebuilt stations -- and many more passengers. But connecting out of state is no better than it was 20 years ago. (Worse if you want to go to Phoenix!)

Reducing Amtrak to corridors is no solution to moving people across this country. My own hope would be that making all long distance trains twice a day would more than double ridership (no town would have only midle of the night service). But it would require -- not a massive increase in Amtrak's budget-- but a realistic assessment of the total cost of government, and the miniscule part of it that Amtrak's budget is.

The current federal deficit in $500 billion dollars. If you eliminated Amtrak's budget ENTIRELY, it would take five centuries to pay off that deficit!

by AmtrakFan

boyishcolt wrote:Mr fan
much of the rail lines you refer to for additional passenger trains are jammed now and are in poor shape for passenger service.which would mean many speed restrictions.
All the major railroads still can not recover there capital cost on major rebuilds that would have to be done (and needs to be done) the web site you keep refering to is really a wishfull thinking dream, none of that can be done unless there are billions of dollars spent on the rail road tracks road beds etc.etc.etc. and even if all of those trains did run. is there really that much demand??
there is and will be always be a demand for passenger rail service but the car is king and the bird is seconed and thats not going to change.we should consentrate on what we have for rail service and try to keep it and work within what is realistic
Yes the Government would pay for the Capital as well as Amtrak and the Freight Railroads. So you mean you don't want more corridor service Mr Colt?

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

Just saying the "government" (state or federal) will pay for it isn't exactly a "plan," it's more like wishful thinking.