• Michaels 502, 503 in Pok

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by n2xjk

Sitting in Poughkeepsie just north of the station are Michaels (MPCX) geeps 502 and 503. Are these just passing through, or might they be assigned to the Hospital Branch? There is also some sort of rail geometry car on a flat nearby.

by nysw3636

The GP9's, along with railcars, were used to lay underground fiberoptic cable lines along the Beacon Line from Beacon to Brewster back in November 2003. Not sure of their future use.

ASD

by n2xjk

Someone in the previous incarnation of railroad.net mentioned what power was going to be assigned to the Hospital Branch when it finally reopens, but I forget what he said and I wondered if these units could be it. These Michaels units in Pok are coupled to what I thought was a ballast regulator, but a trencher would make sense if they had been laying cable.

by Otto Vondrak

Don't hold your breath for anything to be "assigned" to the Hospital Branch other than a rail salvage unit. Word on the street says the NYER project is falling through.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

If anything goes up hospital branch it better have a lot of chainsaws with it , most trees are about 4 inches thick already.

The Michels plow train consisting of the two Geeps a Michels cable trencher/plow and a reel car and a box car are stored there till future work materializes or when frost is out of ground.
I took some pictures but have to put them on a picture site first

by DutchRailnut

I posted some pictures of Cable train at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/130095460LYtknu

by CHomko

I do believe that U-boats were mentioned as the possible motive power on the Hospital line, but as Otto says, it may all be moot.