• The Leasers

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

Does anyone have an idea as to when the leasers will leave PAR?

I thought they were supposed to go in the spring? Is the bad economy and lack of demand for leasers on other railroads a reason for them to stay on PAR this long?
  by schwab21

*RUMOR START* I heard they were leased for another year. *RUMOR END*
  by KSmitty

Ah Rumors, I love um. :-D
  by guilfordrailfan

schwab21 wrote:*RUMOR START* I heard they were leased for another year. *RUMOR END*
The rest of that rumor is PAR was able to renew the lease for another year at even better terms than the first year due to lack of demand for leasers on other railroads. I might point out that this rumor has proven to be at least partially true because they're still here...
  by KSmitty

Thats, true, I just saw three headed through Monmouth, ME. at about 14:15. And i have to say you wouldn't have known that the track speed is bad :-D They were moving slow when the locomotives moved across the street but by the time the rear end passed the 9000 ponies up front had the train rolling at 35-40mph :wow: it was so fast the box cars were actually rocking! They came out of monmouth center headed north- there were 3 leasers up front. I didn't catch #ers (came don over the hill in just enough time to catch some the back of the locomotives) but the lead was an HLCX unit in red and blue, the second was in gray and the last unit was in HLCX blue.

So they are definately still around :wink: When did they start getting north of Portland??? i've seen a leaser here and there since May but lately Ive seen them in 2's and 3's pulling trains. Before it was just mixed in with PAR power but now its "pure consists" of HELM power. Is this part of the new lease conditions?
  by mec 381

The leasers can go all the way to NMJ, but no farther. It is also common to see them in waterverville. They most likely get their 92 day inspections done in waterville and any needed repairs. Also I don't think there is any condition as to whether they have to be in solid consists or not.
  by KSmitty

mec 381 wrote:It is also common to see them in waterverville. They most likely get their 92 day inspections done in waterville and any needed repairs. Also I don't think there is any condition as to whether they have to be in solid consists or not.
I figured that that was why they go to waterville, But in the past they went 1 at a time. Now its in clumps, and they go more often or it seems, i've seen 5 of the 15 helm units in the last week

and thats after going about a month without seeing any!

As for solid consists, I would doubt that there is! I was just saying that ive seen the leasers in solid consits and that that is different than before :wink:
mec 381 wrote:The leasers can go all the way to NMJ, but no farther.
Just wondering, but have any actually made it that far??? i didn't think PAR liked sending big power up that far, usually sixpacks stay south of portland except for repairs done at Waterville.
  by CN9634

The unit have been coming up this way Ever since last winter. The first unit made its way to NMJ last Jan/Feb and they have periodically been making it up although it is rare for them to get past Waterville.
  by KSmitty

When did they show up on PAR?
CN9634 wrote:The first unit made its way to NMJ last Jan/Feb
I didn't know PAR would send the six packs that far north. Somewhere on here I read that 6 axles can enter the yard at NMJ, but cannot switch up there, as they are barred from so many of the yard tracks.
  by guilford88panam

If PAR leases these units for a certain amount of time do they like eventually own them or can they buy them for cheap or something??? I do not know much about leasers....

Tim
  by MEC407

Everything in the world is for sale... at the right price. :wink: But no, I don't believe this is a lease-to-own scenario. It's more like renting a car from a car rental agency. That doesn't mean that PAR couldn't write a check to Helm and buy the units, but I don't think they have any interest in doing that. If we can believe the rumors, it's possible that PAR may be paying very little to rent these units.
  by guilford88panam

MEC407 wrote:Everything in the world is for sale... at the right price. :wink: But no, I don't believe this is a lease-to-own scenario. It's more like renting a car from a car rental agency. That doesn't mean that PAR couldn't write a check to Helm and buy the units, but I don't think they have any interest in doing that. If we can believe the rumors, it's possible that PAR may be paying very little to rent these units.
Yeah okay thanks man that helps out....as much as i love the geeps and some of the old six axles i think it is about time they start slowly replacing there power with something more modern and up to date.....idk
  by guilfordrailfan

MEC&BAR wrote:Here are 2 pictures of them, anybody have any idea what there doing to them?

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1776641

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1776640
The first photo looks very strange because 6450 is in a lashup on the ready tracks with ditch lights on, but is missing it's headlight and number boards!

The second photo is of the deadline behind the shops. 6416 and 6400 have been parked there for over a month.
  by MCER401

Could they just be changing light bulbs as part of routine maintenance?