Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by Otto Vondrak

That's a fantastic photo. Do a double take and it could pass for vintage.

I heard the Lo-V set was sidelined due to mechanical problems?

-otto-

by Fred G

Thanks, Otto; I had to shoot somewhat into the sun.

I believe the Lo-V's had compressor problems and are sidelined, yes. At least today was mission accomplished.

by Otto Vondrak

Too bad the Lo-V's are sidelined, they were looking good. Hrm. How much to get the wooden gate cars on a fan trip on the Dyre Avenue line. That's the closest you could get to having an NYW&B fantrip! Set up the gate cars on the No. 5 and pretend its the 1941 IND shuttle operation!

-otto-
  by AmeriKenArtist

Hello Fred, Where exactly is this location? You have a great vantage point. Secondly, what are the rules regarding photographing underground, particularly in Midtown? Thanks, Ken
  by Fred G

AmeriKenArtist wrote:Hello Fred, Where exactly is this location? You have a great vantage point. Secondly, what are the rules regarding photographing underground, particularly in Midtown? Thanks, Ken
Ken, I was at the south end of the northbound platform, 125th Street station on the west side IRT (1 and 9).

As for rules, all talk of the photoban aside, no tripods, no flash, and no going into restricted areas.

Here's a link to the NYC Transit rules that are in place right now:
http://www.nycsubway.org/faq/photography.html

It doesn't literally state 'no flash allowed' but please don't. If you're photographing an oncoming train, the motorman may think there's a major arc in front of him, or become distracted.

I've taken many photos in the NYC subway and have been harassed by police a couple of times. Now that the conventions and election are over, I think that will subside. The MTA has already backed away from banning photography in the subway.

HTH, and enjoy taking photos of the beautiful subway system.
  by AmeriKenArtist

Thanks Fred. Whenever I photographed the Boston system, I did my best to be discreet. I wore my photo permit and, at times was asked to leave the station. Unfortunately, each employee has their own way of reacting. I heard/read about the difficulties in NYC and am glad to hear things are getting more realistic! Thanks.

by Robert Paniagua

I do videotaping however, but I wouldn't use any floodlights either, and it's fun to get movie videos too. I did it out the front of certain cars (even an R46) and came out nice.

I don't know what the policy is regarding videotaping, but I may do more such videoing again when I invade town for the Xmas recess.
  by AmeriKenArtist

I used a small camcoder ten years ago in the streets and subways. One segment was out the front on the uptown Lex. Ave. express! It was great!

by Allan

Fred G wrote:Thanks, Otto; I had to shoot somewhat into the sun.

I believe the Lo-V's had compressor problems and are sidelined, yes. At least today was mission accomplished.
The problem wasn't the compressors. The previous M.O.D. trip the LoVs could barely make it up the lead from the 207th St yard. It turns out that it was an electrical/mechaincal problem with car 5443. The motors in that car were turning the wheels one way while the other 3 cars wanted to go the other way. The only way they could get things going was to cut the motors out completely on 5443 and have the other 3 cars do all the work. Bill Wall decided to end the day early at 242nd/VC. He even said that we could turn in/use the ticket for the 11/21 trip.

Luckily they were able to get things repaired in time for last Sundays trip.

It was commented by many (myself included) that because of all the people who showed up (about 200 or so) it looked like a normal rush hour back when these cars were in revenue service.

BTW - to say we flew up 7th Av on the first leg of the trip on 11/21 would be an understatement (at least 50 mph in some spots). In fact the swaying of the cars was so much that on the 2nd leg of the trip from Flatbush Av, Bill had the T/O keep the train going at a slower speed.

by chuchubob

Robert Paniagua wrote: I don't know what the policy is regarding videotaping, but I may do more such videoing again when I invade town for the Xmas recess.
NYCRR Title 21.Chapter XXI - METROPOLITAN TRANSPORTATION AUTHORITY SUBCHAPTER D - RULES AND REGULATIONS GOVERNING THE CONDUCT AND SAFETY OF THE PUBLIC - Part 1050.

Rules of Conduct
Section 1050.9 paragraph c

Photography, filming or video recording in any facility or conveyance is permitted except that ancillary equipment such as lights, reflectors or tripods may not be used.

Unfortunately, the police are told that videotaping is banned. Their copy of Section 1050.9 omits the first sentence (copied above in bold), and they are told to enforce the imaginary ban. They will issue a ticket for a $25 fine, which gets thrown out in court.

Section 1050: http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/rules/rules.htm

by Fred G

Allan wrote:
Fred G wrote:Thanks, Otto; I had to shoot somewhat into the sun.

The problem wasn't the compressors. The previous M.O.D. trip the LoVs could barely make it up the lead from the 207th St yard. It turns out that it was an electrical/mechaincal problem with car 5443. The motors in that car were turning the wheels one way while the other 3 cars wanted to go the other way. The only way they could get things going was to cut the motors out completely on 5443 and have the other 3 cars do all the work. Bill Wall decided to end the day early at 242nd/VC. He even said that we could turn in/use the ticket for the 11/21 trip.

Luckily they were able to get things repaired in time for last Sundays trip.

It was commented by many (myself included) that because of all the people who showed up (about 200 or so) it looked like a normal rush hour back when these cars were in revenue service.

BTW - to say we flew up 7th Av on the first leg of the trip on 11/21 would be an understatement (at least 50 mph in some spots). In fact the swaying of the cars was so much that on the 2nd leg of the trip from Flatbush Av, Bill had the T/O keep the train going at a slower speed.
Yes, you are correct about the 11/6 Fan Trip, but you're quoting from a post I made on 10/27. I'm just not that clairvoyant, Allan. :-D

by GP38

Great photo Fred. Like someone said, it looks like a vinatage photo! The Vinyl and aluminum windows on the buildings are the only thing that gives it away!

by Robert Paniagua

Unfortunately, the police are told that videotaping is banned. Their copy of Section 1050.9 omits the first sentence (copied above in bold), and they are told to enforce the imaginary ban. They will issue a ticket for a $25 fine, which gets thrown out in court.

Oh well, I'll still take the video camera, but if I see a uniformed officer, I'll just run fast and hide so that they can't get my information.

Too bad for the NYPD, but they will NOT detain me for a hobby that I like, end of story.