• 3 Metropark expresses in 12 minutes?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by checkthedoorlight

Looking at the NEC schedule, I just noticed that there are 3 trains which make New Brunswick/Edison/Metuchen/Metropark-express to Newark within a 12 minute span (3124, 3126, 3712) in the AM rush. How did this come to be? Do the second and third trains carry any passengers other than last minute commuters, or are they needed due to the first filling to capacity?
  by sixty-six

sullivan1985 wrote:Three trains in 12min in the AM...

...Nothing for 47min in the PM.

The railroads gods are laughing at us.
Obviously this warrants a complaint to NJT. How dare I wait 4 minutes for a train. Obviously my schedule and my schedule alone dictates when a train should arrive.
  by Jtgshu

checkthedoorlight wrote:Looking at the NEC schedule, I just noticed that there are 3 trains which make New Brunswick/Edison/Metuchen/Metropark-express to Newark within a 12 minute span (3124, 3126, 3712) in the AM rush. How did this come to be? Do the second and third trains carry any passengers other than last minute commuters, or are they needed due to the first filling to capacity?
You have obviously never seen how fast the platform at Metropark fills up! hahaha

Its like the people grow right out of the platform!
  by sullivan1985

Jtgshu wrote: You have obviously never seen how fast the platform at Metropark fills up! hahaha

Instant passengers! Just add service!
  by firthorfifth06

sullivan1985 wrote:
Jtgshu wrote: You have obviously never seen how fast the platform at Metropark fills up! hahaha

Instant passengers! Just add service!
Tell that to the dead seashore branch
  by Matthew Mitchell

Might it be that Metropark and New Brunswick are fairly large employment centers and those trains are dropping passengers off at Metropark?

Matt Mitchell
[typically rides one of the two SEPTA Glenside-Philadelphia expresses that are just 4(!) minutes apart]
  by F23A4

That gigundo parking deck sitting atop the parking lot @ Metropark s/b enough to answer the OP's question. :wink:
  by E-44

There is an incredible number of people who live south of the Raritan and drive to Metropark either to avoid the slowness of the coast line or because MOM still hasn't been built. Even JT has done it :)

Lot of people getting off at New Brunswick in the morning for RU and the hospitals.

And then waiting for westbounds in the evening.
  by F23A4

Before the last schedule change, I would ride 3702 out of Jrsy Ave and (depending on how badly we were held up before merging on to track 4) switch for the express (3812) at New Brunswick. I was always amazed at how quickly the platform would populate in the short span of time between both trains. For the heck of it, I've done the same at MetroPark and THAT platform gets populated faster than roaches appear in the kitchen of an apartment in the projects after the lights have been out for 5 minutes. OMG!! :-D
  by wolfboy8171981

E-44 wrote:There is an incredible number of people who live south of the Raritan and drive to Metropark either to avoid the slowness of the coast line or because MOM still hasn't been built. Even JT has done it :)
When I do decide to slum on NJT I drive to Metro Park, and I live in Toms River.
  by acs85

Suffice to say, F23 had it right: those trains are quite justified.

I'm a fairly regular user of them for work. 3712 is often SRO after Metropark. (Honestly, it would be nice if there was another express btn it & 3714. 3124 & 3126, IIRC, are usu. fairly full, w/ mostly just middle seats left. I get on @ Metuchen, & don't ever envy the riders @ Metropark.....
  by Jtgshu

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
E-44 wrote:There is an incredible number of people who live south of the Raritan and drive to Metropark either to avoid the slowness of the coast line or because MOM still hasn't been built. Even JT has done it :)
When I do decide to slum on NJT I drive to Metro Park, and I live in Toms River.
HOW DARE YOU! Bay head is the closest station to you! So you should take the train from there, and no where else!

:wink:
  by wolfboy8171981

Jtgshu wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:
HOW DARE YOU! Bay head is the closest station to you! So you should take the train from there, and no where else!

:wink:
True, but a 1 seat ride (2 if my car counts) is better than 2 (3).
  by Jtgshu

Not to mention saving like an hour and a half in travel time.........