• Ohio & Indiana Railroad website

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by rrfoose

Hi all,

I have developed a concept for a model railroad and decided to make a website for it (same old web address, but new website). The Ohio & Indiana is based on a fictional history of railroading in the Midwest.

A short history lesson: In the formation of Conrail in 1976, Chessie ended up buying the Erie Lackawanna east of Sterling, OH. The trackage west of Sterling was spun off to a new railroad, aptly named the Ohio & Indiana Railroad for the two states it operated in. Since there is already a real life Indiana & Ohio, I went with the Ohio & Indiana for a name. I'm from Ohio so it makes sense that I'd put that state first (nothing against Indianans though). The Ohio & Indiana railroad was actually a real railroad - it later became part of the Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne & Chicago, aka Pennsy's "Ft Wayne Line"...which just happens to be part of my railroad here, even if it wasn't a reason for the original naming of the ex-EL trackage. Later, they added the parallel ex-PRR main from Crestline-Chicago. Finally, when the real Indiana & Ohio bought the ex-DT&I trackage from GTW, my railroad did instead (leaving the still real INOH as a shortline in southwestern Ohio with which my railroad interchanges).

Many may recognize the paint scheme - it belongs to the "old" Indiana & Ohio Railroad (INOH) that I've mentioned (now called I&O Railway (IORY)under RailAmerica ownership). Back when this line was smaller and independent, they painted their locos red & white. When the operation was bought by RailTex, they changed to all red. Finally, RA bought RailTex and along came the standardized CORP paint scheme. I always liked the looks of this railroad and since IORY only has one of these units left on home rails (there are a few others scattered to shortlines/industries and other RA properties), I felt comfortable using their paint scheme for my railroad.

Feel free to take a look at my website and make comments or ask questions! There is still a few things to finish, but I'm 95% of the way there! Now, if only I had the time to build my planned Ashland-Marion modeled segment...

http://www.trainweb.org/southpenn/index.htm

Chase Z.