• New Wiki-enabled Simulation: Washington Metro

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

Looks like the folks at trainlogic.net extracted the metrorail schedules out of the Google Transit Feed Specification data that WMATA posted at Developer Resources page.

The map rendered by the java applet not quite accurate.

The simulation appears to be the Monday through Thursday schedule as the last train terminates its final run at 0045 at Springfield-Franconia.
  by Sand Box John

"hamiltonnj"
What's not accurate about the map?

There are a number of locations where the alignments are not where they really are.

Examples:
The alignment between Dupont Circle and Woodley Park-Zoo is not tangent.
The alignment along Yuma Street between Van Ness and Tenleytown should be at 90°.
The alignment north of Silver Spring is incorrect.
S curve south of Rosslyn is incorrect.
The alignment between Rosslyn and Court House runs at a 90° heading.
Federal Triangle is due south of Metro Center.
The alignment through Pentagon City should be at 355°.
The alignment through Crystal City should be at 85°.
The alignment between National Airport and Bradock Road is incorrect.
The alignment of both the Blue and Yellow line south of King Street are incorrect.
The alignment between Capitol South and Eastern Market is incorrect.
The alignment through Stadium-Armory should be at 360°.
Largo Town Center to far north.
The alignment of the Orange line east of D&G junction is incorrect.
The alignment from U Street to Greenbelt is incorrect.
The alignment from Navy Yard to Branch Avenue is incorrect.

The black lines on this map are an accurate representation of the alignments of the routes of the metrorail system.
  by hamiltonnj

Hi Sand Box John,

we used the following Wikipedia source to get the map information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Washi ... Scale).svg

With such detailed knowledge of Washington Metro map, I am sure Wikipedia would greatly appreciate your input. Would you be so kind to submit your corrections of the map to Wikipedia?

Thanks!
  by JackRussell

The website says:
You don't need an iPhone or any expensive phone. This application works well on most basic regular phones.
But I tried browsing to http://www.trainlogic.net/wap with the browser on my Motorola Razr phone, and it said my phone is too old :(
  by hamiltonnj

JackRussell wrote:The website says:
You don't need an iPhone or any expensive phone. This application works well on most basic regular phones.
But I tried browsing to http://www.trainlogic.net/wap with the browser on my Motorola Razr phone, and it said my phone is too old :(
Jack, we try to keep the application small and use as little memory as possible to make it compatible with older phones. Your Razr is probably a CLDC 1.0 phone (quite old), and these phones (this is why you are getting the message) are not supprted because they don't have the functionality to do what applications needs to do.

If you are insterested in using the app, consider a BlackBerry (even the cheapest one, with OS 4.3 or more recent). You will get schedules, maps, you will be able to use GPS and you will get train delays notifications right in the application.
  by JackRussell

hamiltonnj wrote: Jack, we try to keep the application small and use as little memory as possible to make it compatible with older phones. Your Razr is probably a CLDC 1.0 phone (quite old), and these phones (this is why you are getting the message) are not supprted because they don't have the functionality to do what applications needs to do.
I guess the definition of "old" is quite subjective. I still think of the phone as fairly new. I think you are right that it is CLDC 1.0.

Wasn't really planning on a new phone anytime soon, but I won't be regularly riding Metro until the Dulles extension opens up, and by then I may be ready for something new :P .