• Guns to be allowed on Amtrak

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

This new bill (S. 1638) (PDF) was introduced last week on August 6. It would permit Amtrak to transport unloaded firearms and small arms ammunition between manned, full service stations with checked baggage service. Currently firearms, weapons and ammunition are not accepted in checked baggage or express. This bill does not amend carry-on policy.
  by obienick

All political issues aside, I do not think this is a good idea.

I'm not sure of all the regulations in the air industry required for passengers wishing to check a bag with firearms besides that they must declare it at the ticket counter. Can anybody enlighten me? Unlike planes where the luggage is stored on a different level which has absolutely no access from the inside (besides the large enough air vents in Snakes on a Plane), baggage cars on trains have a passageway from the crew dorm/first sleeper/first car, which may or may not be locked and/or watched by the crew. It is possible that some ill-intentioned person gets through and opens up their bags full of guns. This would not be possible on an airplane.
  by PB

Hate to say it, but If someone ill-intentioned wanted to bring guns onboard the passenger compartment, they wouldn't need to check it in their baggage to do so.

Last time I checked, they don't have metal detectors on the boarding platforms.
  by Ridgefielder

And then do what, exactly? Kinda hard to hijack a train...
  by gprimr1

As a gun owner, and someone who is licsened to carry concealed firearms in 34 states, I think this is a great idea, planes do it already and the firearms would be checked in the baggage car and not avaliable to persons.

Remember that the people who go to the trouble of checking their guns, filling out permits to carry them, filling out paperwork to buy them, they aren't the enemy.

If you can't tell, gun rights are a big issue for me.
  by wigwagfan

Probably some Congresscritter got some complaint about some constituent about "Why can't I bring my hunting rifle to Montana"...

In reality, I would think Amtrak would, at least on the western LD trains, permit the transport of at least the weapon, of course within certain requirements. Most of the airlines which serve the western U.S. know that hunters aren't always going to drive their personal vehicle (Alaska Airlines to Alaska from the lower 48?) and will gladly accomodate this market (with a few fees).

Comparing with the other carriers:

Alaska Railroad (http://www.akrr.com/arrc139.html):
Firearms, to include rifles or revolvers, are not allowed inside the passenger coaches or depots. Firearms may be transported via baggage car if they are unloaded, stored in a hard sided case, and bolt action is removed, or has a trigger locking guard applied. Concealed weapons are not allowed onboard any train.
VIA Rail (http://www.viarail.ca/en/useful-info/ba ... ed-baggage):
The following articles are prohibited as checked baggage on VIA Rail trains: (...)
Dangerous articles (ammunition, fireworks, flammable substances, radioactive materials, etc.).
VIA is a little vague since it only mentions ammo, not the gun itself...

Alaska Airlines (http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/help/f ... dItems.asp): very comprehensive policy, please refer to the link.

IMO, I'd like to know how many travellers - especially on the Empire Builder - do carry on their body without declaring...
  by gprimr1

It would be nice if this bill addressed the other issue of carrying in joint stations. This is a big issue in Philly between the SEPTA part of the station and the Amtrak part.
  by matthewsaggie

I know that on the Carolinian and the Piedmont, while passengers are not allowed in the baggage car, or section on the combine, they are not normally locked either as crews are entering for stops about every 20-30 minutes or so. With firearms in checked baggage I would be most concerned about theft, rather then any sort of danger. Note in Amtrak's baggage policy there are a lot of items that I think are excluded from checked baggage due to the value and potential for loss. Just a thought.
  by David Benton

Ridgefielder wrote:
obienick wrote:All political issues aside, I do not think this is a good idea.

I'm not sure of all the regulations in the air industry required for passengers wishing to check a bag with firearms besides that they must declare it at the ticket counter. Can anybody enlighten me? Unlike planes where the luggage is stored on a different level which has absolutely no access from the inside (besides the large enough air vents in Snakes on a Plane), baggage cars on trains have a passageway from the crew dorm/first sleeper/first car, which may or may not be locked and/or watched by the crew. It is possible that some ill-intentioned person gets through and opens up their bags full of guns. This would not be possible on an airplane.
And then do what, exactly? Kinda hard to hijack a train...
A deranged railfan may force them to do a rare mileage trip ...
  by ZephyrHogHead

Im with gprimr1. As an avid sporting clays shooter I can think of many times that it would have been great if I could have just ridden the train to a shoot instead of flying or driving. But being that employees can not carry firearms on company property I am curious if we will have the rules re-written to be able to at least transport them when we ride as a passenger, following the transport guidlines.

The airlines are very cool with checking firearms. I must say though the first time bringing a shotgun to the airport was a little wierd for me. Now I am completely used to it and dont think anything of it just like if I were with my buddies at the gun club. But, you do get strange looks from people as if youre nuts or something and on my last trip a week ago. I had two men behind me in line trying to guess what was in my Americase. they couldnt figure it out but they did at one point guess correctly :-P Naturally I didnt tell them. It is one thing to bring and check it but totally different to just advertise it by saying you have one. That is darn near "brandishing". Im sure GP will agree with me having us both been to a CCW class. The airlines also only allow you to check a certain ammount of ammo which they determine based off of weight. I think on southwest it is about 11lbs. Which, as a shot gunner going to a shoot where I may shoot up to 600 rounds of shells. I can not bring enough with me. One box of 250 rounds weighs about 25 lbs or so depending. Simply put most shooters wont bring ammo with them traveling to a shoot. They will simply buy it at the location to reduce lugging the loads around since they can be heavy. Its is also a TSA requirement that the gun be placed in a hard case with at least one lock on it. This can be key or numeric. In my case I have 3 locks on my Americase, one numeric and two key locks, not to mention it is made of 1/4 inch thick solid aluminum. It is practically indestructable and made by the same company that makes the big aluminum transport containers for the airlines and fedex, ups.The gun also has to be in a condition of being incapable of firing. Basically taken apart along with no ammo in the same case.

As stated before. The people that you have to worry about are those with ill intentions. Responsible gun owners are the last people anyone needs to worry about since we take the time to make sure of the laws and that we follow them. Violating them can result in loosing our firearms or worse! Currently how things are anyone could bring anything on the train. I have been on the train running and the Conductor had a man who pulled a machete on him and passengers! This was about 5 yrs ago! Thankfully we were right in the middle of town and the police and swat were there immediately.

My honest opinion is this will not only increase ridership of hunters etc. but also improve safety. At least for the law abiding citizens. Dont forget there are a lot of drugs that go by train too. Those people moving drugs are the real scary ones. You dont know how far they are willing to go to keep from getting cought!
  by Greg Moore

gprimr1 wrote:As a gun owner, and someone who is licsened to carry concealed firearms in 34 states, I think this is a great idea, planes do it already and the firearms would be checked in the baggage car and not avaliable to persons.

Remember that the people who go to the trouble of checking their guns, filling out permits to carry them, filling out paperwork to buy them, they aren't the enemy.

If you can't tell, gun rights are a big issue for me.
As a non-gun owner, and someone not licensed in any state and someone often at odds with the NRA, I think this is a great idea also. A gun is a tool. In properly trained hands it is a valuable and enjoyable tool. In improperly trained hands, well, we all know what can happen. But in reality, I can't see any practical or safety reason NOT to permit something like this to be allowed. If someone really wants to wreak havoc, it's far simply to smuggle a weapon on-board than to assume there might be one in checked baggage, make their way through a locked door (and yes, as I understand it, the door to the baggage compartment is supposed to be locked at all times for several reasons), find the weapon, find the ammo and then do something with it. Hell, just not going to happen.

Gun control is using both hands. And it's also legitimately keeping them out of the hands of nuts, but also NOT putting in artificial and pointless barriers in front of those who have shown themselves capable and competent in their usage and handling.
  by Littleredcaboose

I dont own or carry a firearm because chances are you are more likley to be shot by your own gun in your own house and by someone you know.....Like a estranged wife. Or if you carry a firearm on your person that raises the stakes in a conflict and it usally does not end up in your favor.
However I believe the right to bear arms applies in all sitautions expecially in a agency that is owned by the federal goverment that is supposed to repspect and guarentee ALL of our rights.----Our founding father believed that the right to bear arms was the right that guarenteed all the other rights. It is the right of last resort when there is a general consesus that the goverment has become so corupt and so oppresive that change must be had at any cost.
We are not there yet but in 50 years who knows?
  by JimBoylan

I'm curious why it takes an Act of Congress (law) to change an Amtrak baggage regulation? Could a letter from the House Appropriations Committee have the same effect?
Last edited by JimBoylan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by D.Carleton

R36 Combine Coach wrote:This new bill (S. 1638) (PDF) was introduced last week on August 6. It would permit Amtrak to transport unloaded firearms and small arms ammunition between manned, full service stations with checked baggage service.
I have not reviewed the specifics for firearms on Amtrak in twenty years or more. However, back then what's cited above was the requirement. So basically this the undoing of a 'knee-jerk' reaction.
  by Trainer

David Benton wrote:
A deranged railfan may force them to do a rare mileage trip ...
Yeah, like "Take this train to Las Vegas! And please stop for ten minutes at mile 632 so I can get off, set up my tripod, and take some nice pictures."

Or even more unreasonably, "I demand that the Silver Star get into Penn Station on schedule!"