• Why is Gladstone "end of line"

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by Bobby S

I was just wondering, When the Gladstone Branch was built, Was it planned to go further than it's current terminus? I can see from old maps it might have intersected with the long defunct Rockaway Valley RR.
  by radioboy

The line once ended at Bernardsville. The DL&W extended it in 1890 to Gladstone.
  by JLo

I believe that there was a plan by DL&W to extend it westward, but it would have had to tunnel or find some way through the Chester Hills (I believe the original name the Passaic & Delaware before it became a DL&W branch line). That was certainly cost prohibitive for a small branch line. In fact, the farms and mines of Long Valley and Chester were already served by existing lines, such as the CNJ's High Bridge Branch, the Rockaway Valley and the DL&W's Chester Branch.
  by Port Jervis

If one wants to get technical, the railroad which preceeded the Gladstone was once intended to run all the way to PA as the New Jersey West Line RR. Only the section between Summit and Bernardsville was built before the company went bankrupt, but some of the line east of Summit was graded off and can be seen today, especially in Milburn.
  by Port Jervis

JLo wrote:I believe that there was a plan by DL&W to extend it westward, but it would have had to tunnel or find some way through the Chester Hills (I believe the original name the Passaic & Delaware before it became a DL&W branch line). That was certainly cost prohibitive for a small branch line. In fact, the farms and mines of Long Valley and Chester were already served by existing lines, such as the CNJ's High Bridge Branch, the Rockaway Valley and the DL&W's Chester Branch.
I always wondered why the DL&W electrified this line, but not the Boonton, which was probably more important than the single tracked branch to Gladstone.
  by RWERN

Port Jervis wrote:
JLo wrote:I believe that there was a plan by DL&W to extend it westward, but it would have had to tunnel or find some way through the Chester Hills (I believe the original name the Passaic & Delaware before it became a DL&W branch line). That was certainly cost prohibitive for a small branch line. In fact, the farms and mines of Long Valley and Chester were already served by existing lines, such as the CNJ's High Bridge Branch, the Rockaway Valley and the DL&W's Chester Branch.
I always wondered why the DL&W electrified this line, but not the Boonton, which was probably more important than the single tracked branch to Gladstone.
The DL&W built the Boonton Line as a freight bypass around the towns on the M-E line, and as such the electrification for passenger service on a mainly freight line was less important. Also, recall that the configuration of the line was altered more than once. Originally the Boonton line connected with what is now the Main Line in the Paterson area. All of the DL&W lines with electrification stemmed from the same trunk (the M-E Line, the Montclair Branch, and the Gladstone Branch). After the formation of the EL, part of the line was torn up to favor the alignment of an ex-Erie branch to Jersey City (changed to Hoboken). However, it changed again with the Montclair Connection in recent years. So, of course now it seems sensible to do electrify as there is only a relative short gap in the electrifed territory which came about through the rerouting of the line onto the electrified trunk.
  by njmidland

As someone mentioned, the Passaic & Delaware, or New Jersey West Line Railroad was one of the routes that the Lehigh Valley was looking at to extend beyond the Delaware River and reach the Hudson River. Depending on whose history you read you can debate how serious this was, but it was serious enough for the DL&W to buy it to prevent LV expansion into their territory. Once it became a DL&W property I think any plans to reach the Delaware River ended.
  by Idiot Railfan

Well into the EL years, the Gladstone Branch was often referred to as the "P&D."
  by CarterB

njmidland wrote:As someone mentioned, the Passaic & Delaware, or New Jersey West Line Railroad was one of the routes that the Lehigh Valley was looking at to extend beyond the Delaware River and reach the Hudson River. Depending on whose history you read you can debate how serious this was, but it was serious enough for the DL&W to buy it to prevent LV expansion into their territory. Once it became a DL&W property I think any plans to reach the Delaware River ended.
The Passaic Valley & Peapack was to extend WSW from Bernardsville as the New Jersey West Line through about Potterstown (crossing the CNJ) to meet the Easton & Amboy (Lehigh Valley) at about Grandin. Packer, subsequently built on across NJ on the Easton & Amboy, and all plans for the NJWL were dropped. The DL&W leased, then purchased it and it became the P&D. Extension was made to Peapack by the DL&W but never really anticipated going further because of the terrain north of there.

The Rockaway Valley [RIP 1913] did go through Peapack, but the two lines never joined.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HISTORICALM ... R_1876.jpg
  by AndyB

Another map at Rutgers worth taking a look at is this one.

http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HudsonCoAtlas/P9/index.html

It shows the proposed New Jersey West from Newark through Millburn,
Summit, New Providence, Liberty Corner, on to White House.
What is interesting, It kind of follows the route of Rt.78.
This one shows the line from White House to the Delaware River.
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HudsonCoAtl ... index.html

The book that these are from is mainly Hudson County and very detailed
Note on this one the New Jersey Railroad depot in Jersey City, pre-PRR.
http://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HudsonCoAtl ... index.html
Note: Click with mouse to zoom in on map
The book has maps of the other counties in the front.
Well worth taking a look at other pages.
AndyB
  by pdman

Even as a kid, it always looked like an abrupt truncating of the line to me (as though someone suddenly chopped it off). Then, there is/was the house in the next lot that every ten years or so would get nudged by an errant MU that went too far. I remember at least two from the 50s and 60s where that happened.
  by pdman

Rockaway Valley Line: I remember as a kid seeing an old right of way crossing Route 206 (about a mile and a half north north west of Gladstone proper). It was pretty clear with a tree line and fields on each side of it well into the 60s and 70s. I would guess it would be about one or two hundred feet higher in elevation than the end of the Gladstone Branch.
  by philipmartin

Well into the EL years, the Gladstone Branch was often referred to as the "P&D."
Even later. I came to EL territory with Conrail, and remember hearing the term P&D.
  by ExCon90

philipmartin wrote:
Even later. I came to EL territory with Conrail, and remember hearing the term P&D.
Didn't the numbers on the automatic signals have an alpha prefix that reflected the P&D heritage? Do they still, since the resignaling?