• E.H. Harrison - two more years

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by Ken V

Bloomberg wrote:Harrison said he plans to step down as CEO at the end of 2009, when he turns 65. By then, he will have spent more than 45 years in the industry after starting as a carman-oiler on the Frisco railroad in 1963. He led Chicago-based Illinois Central Corp. until 1998.

Canadian National plans to name a chief operating officer by mid-2009 who would be Harrison's likely successor. There is a "high probability'' that the pick will come from within the company, Harrison said.
Good news? Bad news? No news?

Read the full interview at bloomberg.com

by Clique of One

TOO MANY! :(

by Tadman

Hmmm, I need a job in two years...

Think they'd take a newly minted lawyer that doesn't want to practice?

by bufftbone

Hopefully the new guy will make company/employee relations a little better then they are now.

by Komachi

What are the qualifications for the job? I'm semi-employed right now and would consider pursuing the position.

I've been a railfan for about 31 years and a model railroader for about 21 of those, plus I hold an AA in General Education and a BS in History. Will that be sufficent? :wink: :-D :P

In all seriousness, while I am not qualified (although I would like to pursue a career on the railroad in one capacity or another), who within the ranks would be the most likely candidate? Co I dare ask who would be the best replacement? Just currious.
  by Clique of One

E. HUNTER HARRISON NAMED CEO OF THE YEAR

On Friday November 30th, Report on Business magazine announced it has selected E. Hunter Harrison as Canada’s CEO of the Year for 2007.

“I’m very honoured to be awarded this prestigious recognition,” Mr. Harrison said.  “Of course I am not receiving this simply for my own work.

It takes the efforts of the entire CN team to achieve the kind of successful profile you need to win an award like this.

I want to thank all of the employees for their work in bringing our five principles to life, because they can all be as proud of this award as I am.”

Report on Business magazine is widely acknowledged as Canada’s most read business magazine, appearing monthly in the Globe and Mail newspaper.

Public Affairs

12/03/2007

http://tinyurl.com/23orq3

The added comments tell the real story!
  by bufftbone

Clique of One wrote:E. HUNTER HARRISON NAMED CEO OF THE YEAR

On Friday November 30th, Report on Business magazine announced it has selected E. Hunter Harrison as Canada’s CEO of the Year for 2007.

“I’m very honoured to be awarded this prestigious recognition,” Mr. Harrison said. “Of course I am not receiving this simply for my own work.

It takes the efforts of the entire CN team to achieve the kind of successful profile you need to win an award like this.

I want to thank all of the employees for their work in bringing our five principles to life, because they can all be as proud of this award as I am.”
The original unedited version went something like this:

“I’m very honoured to be awarded this prestigious recognition,” Mr. Harrison said. “Of course I am receiving this simply for my own work.

It takes the efforts of the entire CN team to achieve the kind of successful profile you need to win an award like this but they didn't do it, I did.

I would want to thank all of the employees for their work in bringing our five principles to life, because they can all be as proud of this award as I am. However, I am a one man team and worked hard on this myself”
  by CN_Hogger

ROFLMAO!!!! :-D :P
bufftbone wrote:
Clique of One wrote:E. HUNTER HARRISON NAMED CEO OF THE YEAR

“I’m very honoured to be awarded this prestigious recognition,” Mr. Harrison said. “Of course I am not receiving this simply for my own work.

The original unedited version went something like this:

“I’m very honoured to be awarded this prestigious recognition,” Mr. Harrison said. “Of course I am receiving this simply for my own work.

It takes the efforts of the entire CN team to achieve the kind of successful profile you need to win an award like this but they didn't do it, I did.

I would want to thank all of the employees for their work in bringing our five principles to life, because they can all be as proud of this award as I am. However, I am a one man team and worked hard on this myself”
  by Ken V

CN announced today (Apr1l 21, 2009) that its board of directors has appointed CFO Claude Mongeau to succeed Harrison at the end of this year.
CN press release.
  by GWoodle

Take a look at the new August 2009 issue if Trains. Large article explains Harrison & his vision of CN.
  by ljeppson

Did any of you see Bob Sculley's interview of Harrison on his public television show? I'll say this for Harrison, he knows how to talk and interact with media, unlike a whole lot of his contemporaries. He talked about the give and take in management. He even acknowledged the need for labor unions. Except for the Trains article I don't know anything else about him, but he gives a darned good interview.
  by Clique of One

It appears that butter still won't melt in Harrison's mouth. Yup he's one smooth talker all right. Yet he never really struck me as anything but an egocentric and psychopathic pied piper. Hitler was also good at mesmerizing the easily swayed. I for one never had any problem seeing through his bluster.

Perhaps those who continue to idolize Uncle Hillbilly should ask the unionized members and even a few of the less intimidated and/or less brainwashed supervisors who are still employed or were employed on the Canadian National Railways up here in Canada, what their convictions are concerning this railway deity. Going in with eyes open and without rose coloured glasses would truly open a persons eyes even more.

And oh, by the way. Recently there was an unveiling of a memorial in Lillooet, British Columbia, for Don Faulkner and Tom Dodd. They were two CNR employees who were killed because of a runaway train back in 2006 just outside Lillooet on track formerly owned by BC Rail. Unfortunately the press couldn't, or maybe wouldn't, find the memorial service newsworthy. Could it be that as there wasn't one more undeserved accolade or award for eDot, there was nothing to report?

There have been more employees killed during Harrison's watch where the mostly right wing press continuously refuses to do any kind of truly in depth investigative reporting.

This was the only news source that I could find reporting on this service. Absolutely disgusting!

http://www.lillooetnews.net/article/200 ... s-unveiled

The same news story can also be found here;
http://www.teamstersrail.ca/TCRC_News_July_29_2009.htm
  by .missthealcos.

E. is another fine example of what passes for a "visionary" business leader today. Cut everything absolutley to the bone, with no regard for any sort of consequence, then be hailed by the business community as some sort of saviour, genious, and hero. A 5 year old could figure out that spending absolutley nothing, cutting every corner, and hoping noone is watching (which for the most part, in Canada at least, noone is anymore) with no concern for anything but a fraction of a cent rise in stock values, will result in even higher profit. This doesn't make for a saviour, it makes for a short sighted, and irresponsible leader, who couldn't care less about what is left after they collect their enourmous pay, and then enourmous retirement package. Running things with an eye to profit, AND the bigger picture is what (used to) make a good business leader. There was a time when this type of behaviour would be punished, not rewarded! the fines they have recieved for their shoddy practices are nothing more than the cost of doing business to them.

The guy should be forced to go visit the scene north of Lillooet, and see first hand just one prime and sad example of how his "vision for CN" actually effects things.

Every time I read another blurb about CN being the "most succesful railway in North America", my mind adds "because the others have some regard for safety etc., and maybe even a little pride!"