• Diesel on regular trains???

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

by leftyfretguy

I was planning on taking the family back to the A&A this month so I checked the schedule and saw something odd.
taken from the schedule page
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
Saturday, Sunday, and Monday: 12pm (Steam) & 2:30pm (Diesel)

JUNE
Saturday & Sunday: 12pm (Steam) & 2:30pm (Diesel)

JULY & AUGUST
Fridays: 2:00pm (Steam)
Saturday, Sunday, & Wednesday: 12pm (Steam) & 2:30pm (Diesel)

Note: Ride the train 4th of July 12:00 (Steam) & 2:30 p.m.(Diesel)
(Decorated with Bunting)

Regular Ticket Rates
All American "Hot Dogs" & Ice Cream Novelties for sale at Curriers Depot
(Portable Facilities available)

SEPTEMBER
Saturday & Sunday: 12pm (Steam) & 2:30pm (Diesel)

Whats this diesel stuff???
Have I totally missed posts here talking about this or has it not been mentioned or has it not happened?
I like that I can ride AND chase steam on the same day.
Whats the deal???
Matt
  by Mountcastle

Funny you should post this: I noticed that, too, just the other day, while looking at the website; however I've ridden the excursion train Memorial Day Weekend, and on couple of weekends in the month of June, and of July and thus far I have seen only the steam locomotive used for all trains...which I believe is as it should be.

I don't know what percentage of riders pays any attention to the website, but, by and large, I expect that those who drive themselves and their families to Arcade to ride the train expect to ride behind a steam locomotive and not a diesel. It's what the Arcade & Attica Railroad is mostly known for. And I suspect that people arriving for the 2:30 train encountering a diesel would be most disappointed, especially after seeing the 12:00 train returning to Arcade with the steam locomotive. I know that I would be beside myself if I drove all the way there to find a little diesel driving up to replace 18 at the head of the train. I honestly don't know if I'd stay or just get right back in the car and find something else to do. The diesels do nothing for me, I'm afraid.

Let's face it: the ride to Curriers isn't exactly a ride through a scenic wonderland and the ride is only truly made charming because of the steam locomotive. The steam locomotive puts the ride in perspective as much of what you see looks unchanged since those days of yore, and you can imagine yourself transported back in time. Not so with a diesel, I'm afraid. But despite the lack of interesting sites along the railroad, I never tire of travelling it when No. 18 is pulling the train. I personally don't care if I never see one of the diesels, again.

So, despite a schedule that surely reflects what the A&A originally had in mind, I have to imagine that the management and crew realized that their customers want to see the steamer, and so they've given them the steamer on every run. The website does also state, after all, that the railroad reserves the right to "substitute motive power as operating conditions warrant," and I think smart customer satisfaction considerations qualify as "operating conditions", from a promotional perspective, at least. After all, if the customer is not satisfied, no motive power will be warranted, at all.

I had an opportunity to speak with a member of the crew during the steam doubleheader event who proudly declared to me that "the Arcade and Attica Railroad does not operate diesel locomotives with passenger trains during the regular season any longer." The statement was an emphatic one, and one which I was only too pleased to hear.
  by Benjamin Maggi

I don't have any insider information on this, and if I did this probably wouldn't be the proper forum for it anyways. Nor do I expect Pat to have to defend the railroad's decision here on this forum. However, I would suggest anyone who wants to know more about this change in operating practicse should contact the railroad directly. They are in the best position to explain it... if they choose to do so.

The Railroad's contact information:

278 Main Street, Arcade, NY 14009
Phone: (585) 492-3100

As a railfan and someone who likes steam, I would love to see #18 in operation at all times. As a stockholder and life-long fan of the railroad, I would love to see it last through these difficult economic times. Running a steam locomotive costs a lot more than a diesel. While I am sure good arguments can be made for both sides, the reality is that the railroad alone is in the best position to make these decisions. They have more information in totality then the rest of us put together. (With the exception of Pat!) :-D
  by Mountcastle

I didn't gather that anyone was trying to make any decisions for anyone, did you?

A curious question was asked of the peanut gallery. A speculative reply was offered by a member of the peanut gallery.

No top secret information (as if there ever could be any) from the Orange-agon was revealed to the Russians.

The train is safe for democracy.

:wink:
  by Benjamin Maggi

Oh, I think that the question was a fair one. However, the best answer would probably be had by contacting them directly. If anything, I am glad they at least posted when they plan to use the diesel. A few years ago before #18's return, no real mention was made of #112 and I bet there were lots of people who saw the fliers and drove up to ride behind steam, only to find a diesel.
  by C. J. Brooks

I don't see what the big deal is, as their 44 tonners are pretty sharp looking units in my opinion. In all honesty, where else around here are you going to find a multitude of these units as can be found on the A&A? We're not talking CSX GEVOs or NS Dash 9s here people...don't take these units for granted, as they are, in all honesty, just as rare as the steam locomotive(s) that virtually always have the limelight.
  by Benjamin Maggi

My favorite engine of all time is their 44-tonner #111. But that is just me.
  by C. J. Brooks

Well, now that they are running the diesels regularly, I'm definitely going to have to see about making another trip down there to shoot them...the 18 is perfectly fine, but I am by no means a "steam nut" and hence after a few trips, it just doesn't do much for me anymore...but we all have our own opinions. My previous post was an effort to get people to see that, in the grand scheme of things, having the 44-tonners run isn't a bad thing...it could be worse, they could flat out not run a second trip.
  by CCole1983

Hello. This is my first time here, and I know none of you probably have any reason to believe me, but I am actually part of the train crew on the Arcade and Attica this year. I do the announcements on the train.

Yes, it is true that we have started using 112 for our 2:30 runs, but please understand this is an issue that we have very little control over. We wish it wasn't so, as all of us absolutely love being able to run with steam, and we're certainly proud of the fact that we are the only steam-powered excursion train in all of NY State. Much of our cutting back on the use of 18 has to do with the government. I am really not sure how much more I can say about it, but you certainly won't get any shortage of opinion from us who work at the A&A.

I know this explanation may not be satisfactory, but afterall we are subject to the FRA.
  by Benjamin Maggi

CCole,
I think I met you on one of the trips this year. You have a leather vest instead of the shiny black one, right? I am not judging the railroad on its decision. It does what it must. On a seperate note... your anouncements are very interesting but I would suggest you speak a little slower. I know what you are saying but that is because I know the subject matter very well. My wife had no idea what you were saying.

Anyways, keep up the good work and welcome to the board. :-)
  by CCole1983

As I have been doing some independent research on the A and A I have been adjusting the rate at which I speak, and that has come with the content I have uncovered (mainly with Pat's help).

A lot of it also depends on if I use the microphone, which recently I haven't been, as it has been cutting in and out. All total I do about nine speeches a day in each of the cars, provided there are passengers in them. And I certainly want to do justice to the subject, so I don't want to gloss over anything. So I guess I am saying if there are times when I seem like I am rushing, it may be because I am a little bit. But I certainly encourage questions from the passengers in case they missed something or want clarification.

By the way, #18 did the second run today. And also thank you Ben. Doing the announcing on the train has been a lot of fun. Talking with people from all over the state, country, and even the world and telling them about our little piece of railroad history has been a lot of fun and it's something I enjoy immensely.
  by Otto Vondrak

Benjamin Maggi wrote:Oh, I think that the question was a fair one. However, the best answer would probably be had by contacting them directly.
Exactly. We can sit here and speculate... or you can get the real answers from the folks who set the policy.

-otto-
  by Mountcastle

Well, I've ridden the train 6 times this year and each time I've ridden the 2:30 train and each time the steam locomotive was used.

The only diesel I've seen, apart from the static display, was one parked in the yard during the double-header event.
  by Otto Vondrak

CCole1983 wrote: Much of our cutting back on the use of 18 has to do with the government. I am really not sure how much more I can say about it, but you certainly won't get any shortage of opinion from us who work at the A&A. I know this explanation may not be satisfactory, but afterall we are subject to the FRA.
What does the FRA have to do with it? Are you referring to the number of service days on a steam boiler can use before another rebuild is required?
  by CCole1983

Otto Vondrak wrote:
CCole1983 wrote: Much of our cutting back on the use of 18 has to do with the government. I am really not sure how much more I can say about it, but you certainly won't get any shortage of opinion from us who work at the A&A. I know this explanation may not be satisfactory, but afterall we are subject to the FRA.
What does the FRA have to do with it? Are you referring to the number of service days on a steam boiler can use before another rebuild is required?
All I know is they have paid us some visits this year, and shortly after the last one was when we went to doing steam for just the first run. Beyond that I honestly don't know.

However, this past Wednesday we ran steam for both trains. We had 129 riders the first train, and 135 the second, which is a lot better than 120 or so for the first and 30 for the second.