Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by MADDOG

Just today (7-29-09)on the 10:43 to FBA, while stopping to let off a LIRR employee, I noticed a crew removing the graffitti from the pair of M-1s which are slated for the NY Transit Museum.
MADDOG
  by Mookie Dog

Anybody know when or how they are going to move them to the museum? Flatbed truck maybe?
  by SwingMan

Mookie Dog wrote:Anybody know when or how they are going to move them to the museum? Flatbed truck maybe?

That would be hard to do since the Museum is underground in an old subway station :wink: . I doubt that these thing will ever make it there, as there are many tunnel clearence issues :( .

lirr415-Peter
  by LongIslandTool

The clearance problems were discussed but management at the levels this is at are in denial. They feel they can simply be moved through the tunnels. They don't want to hear otherwise, so they aren't being told anymore.

Eventually they will figure this one out or it will figure itself out, as they say.
  by workextra

Just send them to Riverhead before we lose (cease to have) another pair of M1s.
Another Idea is to take them + the ones in Riverhead, restore them in Hillside, and use them on a buff train every year or so just like transit does with the Old subway cars. I guess it won't be so special while the 3's are still here but when the 3's are gone it would be a nice treat! Get a weekend train and run it on there for the weekend.
Wait! this is impossible to do, it will cost too much, (then why does transit get away with it???)
Last edited by workextra on Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Nova55

We barely squeeked the hack through and there was quite literally an inch to spare in spots. And that was with a coupler extension as well..
  by Dump The Air

workextra wrote:Just send them to Riverhead before we loose another pair of M1s.
If they get loose you can always just tighten them back up.
  by M1 9147

I have heard that 85' cars can fit the tunnels, but with issues. To clarify Nova55's statement, the C60 had clearance issues with the roof, but the height of the M1's are in fact the same as the R44/46, and can fit the tunnels. As long as the M1's were to run in IND tunnels, they would be fine as the routing of them would be from 207 to Hoyt-Schemerhorn, and into the TM! You can't run them like the C60 did via BMT Nassau Line/Canarsie due to radius/clearance issues. They would have to be trucked from Morris Park to 207, then can be hauled to the TM from there! And again the main issue is money to get them there, and even on a fan trip, and also FRA inspection too! We had with Twin Forks so many issues just to get them the FRA's blessing, and with even that the maximum MAS was only 15MPH. Now with a fantrip with the M1's, only with that FRA inspection would be needed! It's time, and money!
  by Pilgrim Next

Are these the 9001 and 9002 you are talking about?
  by workextra

Those are now silverware.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: In case anyone does not remember the TM M1 cars are 9745-9746. MACTRAXX
  by LongIslandTool

Just as information, the 9001 and 9002 were not the first M-1's delivered.
  by Nova55

M1s are a foot wider though and 10' longer. Yeah, they might fit in a tunnel, but when you get to the curves and grades, and being that there married pairs with draw bars...yeah.. 60s issues were not with just the roof but everywhere. Engineers spent alot of time going over it and when I said 1/2 inch, I meant it, all the way around.

I am not a TA engineer, so If they say they can, may god be with them, But Me thinks after the night with the hack, they will be taking those motors out by dumpster with the help of a wrecking torch.
  by deandremouse

...... Me thinks they shouldnt bother to get these things in the subway. Thats asking for trouble considering they're 10' longer than the 75' subway car length.
  by awtprod

why am I having trouble picturing an M1 in a subway tunnel...hmmmm.