• South Bufalo #80 S-2

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by nydepot

Koenig's South Buffalo Railway book lists this engine as being scrapped by the SB. Other information I have shows the following history AFTER the South Buffalo:

to-Bethlehem Energy #80 (Century 101 Mine, Buckhannon, WV)
too-Bethlehem Energy #80 (Marianna, PA) (assumed left when mine and C&I closed)
tooo-Niagara Mohawk Power #80 (Tonawanda)
toooo-Huntley Power, LLC/Eastern States Power #80 (currently in use or stored)

I know Huntley has another S-2, which Scot L. has documented.

Anyone have the scoop in this engine?

It was built as Patapsco & Back Rivers #227 in 6/47, c/n 74985.

Thanks,

Charles
  by Smtimko

I took the question to Alco expert, Ron Stafford who offers the following:

That's NOT South Buffalo #80 at Tonawanda...it's the #64. Everyone assumes it's the #80 because Niagara Mohawk (now Huntley Power LLC) took it upon themselves to renumber it to #80-2 (in the numberboards). It also has the #7 stenciled on the cab side. Here's the scoop...

Alco S2 / 76165 / 9-1948
Originally Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac #65.
To Steelton & Highspire #64.
To South Buffalo #64.
To Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation #80-1 @ Tonawanda, NY.
To Huntley Power LLC #7 (#80-1 still in numberboards) @ Tonawanda, NY.

As for the true South Buffalo #80...

Alco S2 / 74985 / 5-1947
Originally Patapsco & Back Rivers #227.
To South Buffalo #80.
To Bethlehem Mines Corporation #80 @ Century, WV.
*** POSSIBILITY - To BethEnergy Mines, Incorporated #80 @ Century, WV (name change).
To BethEnergy Mines, Incorporated #80 @ Marianna, PA.

Reed also made this same mistake in his book, so the bad information keeps manifesting itself.

Huntley also has the ex-SB #100, although I'm not sure if their leasing it from Buffalo Southern or if they actually purchased it (from the BS).
Ron takes pride in maintining Alco records on industrial and short line units.

SMT
  by nydepot

Thanks Steve!

Charles
  by BSOR Patarak

Huntley Power Plant does not have SB #100. BSOR owns this locomotive and it was recently painted into BSOR colors. It is now at the White Box Commodities (ex-ConAgra/Lake & Rail Elevator) awaiting grain shipments.

The Huntley Plant did just buy an EMD Switcher of some sort. It is blue in color, but I have not been up to see what it is or where it came from. The EMD replaced the 80 ton center cab (They called #5) which was moved out on a flat car earlier this year.

Pat Connors
BSOR
  by Ron S.

Thanks for the correction and update on the #100 Pat.

In case your wondering, I took the previous information from an old issue of Railpace...

Quote (Railpace Newsmagazine, December, 2005 - page 45) - "In early October, S-2 100 was being readied for shipment to NRG, the operators of the former Niagara Mohawk Huntley Power Plant, located at Tonawanda, NY. The unit will join sister unit, former South Buffalo S2 64 working there as #7, sub-numbered 80-1."

Ron
  by BSOR Patarak

No problem...That was correct at the time of publication. They did look at the locomotive then to replace #5. A deal was not reached and it never left the BSOR. At that time it still remained in partial primer/yellow & black south buffalo paint. It has since been painted BSOR green & yellow and readied for service.