• EMD/Alco/GE locomotives identification

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by carbone

I'm working on the study on American Short Lines. My goal is to identify all Alco locomotives and their traction motors, traction and auxiliary generators, compressors, blowers etc.

I have some difficulties to find information about rebuilt locomotives as GP10, GP8, SD20-2 etc..., and with some specific locomotives as GP7u, GP40-2LW, NW2M, RS-3m etc....

Auxiliary generators, blowers and air compressors exact types/ loco are also not easy to find.

Do you have some technical manuals, or files per type of locomotive?

I really appreciate your help,

Thank you in advance,
  by atsf sp

I believe that a GP7u is just a GP7 with a chopped nose done later in its career. GP40-2LW is just a GP40-2 with a Canadian cab. RS-3m is a rebuilt RS-3. Some railroads if contacted may be able to help you. Metro North operates a GP8. Housatonic runs a RS-3m. I know a GP10 runs for Georgia-Florida Railnet. GP7u=BNSF, GP40-2LW=CN/Pan AM. Try contacting them and they may help. I may not be totally correct on my thoughts at the beginning of this post but I think I am pretty close.
  by scottychaos

You will find there is a LOT of variation in rebuilt locos!
and a specific model designation doesnt always mean the same thing..
for example a "GP30m" means simply a "rebuilt GP30"..
but different railroads rebuilt GP30's in different ways, did different things to them,
but still slapped a "GP30m" model designation on the result..
so two different "GP30m"' units could be very different, in terms of how they were rebuilt..

you will need to further subdivide by rebuild program..and rebuilder..not just model.

you also said "My goal is to identify all Alco locomotives.."
but then went on to describe a bunch of EMD's.. ;)

Scot
  by Triplex

but different railroads rebuilt GP30's in different ways, did different things to them,
but still slapped a "GP30m" model designation on the result..
so two different "GP30m"' units could be very different, in terms of how they were rebuilt..
Good example: Chessie GP30Ms. B&O GP30s had the original 567 prime mover rebuilt. C&O units had it replaced with a 645, and are thus more like a Santa Fe GP30u.

GP40-2LW is not a rebuild. I don't believe it's the actual manufacturer's term. Railfans refer to CN GP38-2Ws, GP40-2Ws, GP40-2LWs and SD40-2Ws. I know that the 40s are called GP40-2 and GP40-2L by CN. CN doesn't bother to specify the wide nose, but does specify the lightweight frame on the GP40-2L(W).

Rebuilt locos are mind-bending to follow. However, there aren't so many rebuilt Alcos.

RS-3m was a term used by several railroads. Sometimes it meant EMD repowering.

D&H had RS-3us. These had dynamic brakes, a chopped nose, and were set up to run short hood forward. I can't recall if they had the original 244 or a new 251.

D&H's PA-4s were PA-1/2s with 251 engines.

They also had some ex-EL/CR C424ms, but I don't know what that rebuilding entailed.

One of the largest sets of rebuilt Alcos were CP's RS-18us. Other than the visible chopnose, I don't know what changes this involved.

Can't remember the designation of the CP M636 that was CAT-repowered and later sold to Minnesota Commercial.
  by MEC407

Triplex wrote:They also had some ex-EL/CR C424ms, but I don't know what that rebuilding entailed.
The 16-251B (2400 HP) was replaced with a 12-251C (2000 HP). Not sure if the electrical system had any upgrades, but I would be kind of surprised if it didn't. These rebuilds were done by GE at Hornell, NY.
Triplex wrote:One of the largest sets of rebuilt Alcos were CP's RS-18us. Other than the visible chopnose, I don't know what changes this involved.
Another RS-18 rebuild program was the one undertaken by BCRail. That program involved removing the Alco engine and replacing it with a Caterpillar engine. These units already had low noses before the rebuild, but one of the biggest external visual changes after the rebuild was the radiator section: the single large fan was replaced with two smaller fans, and the vents became either boxy or flared, depending on the phase of the rebuild.

"Before" shot: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_brc607.jpg

"After" shot (boxy style): http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/tr_bcr603.jpg

"After" shot (flared style): http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/bcr/bcol609bmr.jpg

Depending on who you talk to, the new designation for these units was either CRS20, RS18M, or RS18CAT.