• Delaware cabooses

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

by caboose9

redinkdrying wrote, "There's a conrail bay window in harrington, de as of 4/06."

Hi,

Is this caboose on or off live rail? If it's off live rail, what is the location?

What is the CR road number?

Thanks, Roger

by redinkdrying

hey there... i live in Magnolia, DE, so if anyone needs DE train info, i'm u'r man, just ask... as for the CR caboose in Harrington, it is on the old siding next to the grain elevators just a few feet north of the DE state fairgrounds. when u cross the tracks on Rt. 13, look to you'r right (left if going north on 13) and u can't miss it, the track is used by the Maryland and Delaware RR. also, there is an old CR jordan spreader/snowplow there on another siding, same location as the caboose. both have been there for at least the two years i have lived here in DE. also, this location is great for railfaning, especially if u'r a fan of Norfolk Southern (ex-Conrail line) because Harrington is where the MDDE interchanges with the NS. there are almost allways several trains and or cars sitting on the siddings daily. monday through friday are you'r best days for major action, although NS runs trains steadily through DE seven days a week.

by redinkdrying

hey again... almost forgot!!! NS uses an old Conrail caboose (still wearing CR colors and numbers!!!) for switching activities in around the Kraft Foods plant in Dover, DE. I passed it, coupled to an old rusty EL coal hopper (also still in it's original livery and number, although very rusty and bruised) and a NS GP38-2 sitting at the siding by the Kraft plant last monday (4/3/06). Upon talking to the engineer, who was sitting along side the road, on some old ties, he said that they (NS) uses the caboose and coal car as push/pull cars for use into and out of the Kraft plant. as well as some extra weight and traction during switching operations. the engine is stationed just north of the siding about one mile or so on a Dover siding. next time i'm in Dover, (i live 15 minutes southeast of Dover, and about 15-20 minutes northeast of Harrington, DE) i'll try to see about getting the #'s of the engine, coal car, and caboose. later guys

by Legio X

Ahh, Sussex County, DE, my favorite place in the world. Nothing beats a week or two at the beach in Bethany Beach with a trip up to Lewes to catch the Delaware Coast Line switching, especially if the T-6 or RS-18 are the power. Also, the DCL uses what looks like a former PRR/PC caboose on the Lewes run.

by railroadcarmover

Is the 80 tonner still in use at the Kraft Foods complex?
I recall seeing it there a few years ago. Its black.

by Engineer James

Clayton....

Anyone been there since 2003?? Where were the 2 loco situated? On what road I mean.....

by VaCentralRwy

Clayton, anyone been there in the past week? I live a mile north. The equipment sat on the line to Easton (the short-lived Chesapeake RR) next to the Southern States store (which gets fertilizer on its own NS siding). The equipment's been gone for a few years (somewher I have some pix on the locomotives loaded on the flatcars (they were definitely no longer FRA-compliant). Where some of the equipment sat is now the location of a new biodiesel operation (which NS was "kind enough" to fix up the rails to the plant for a small fee).
Btw, how is MDDE operating into Harrington? From the interchange in Seaford, Frankford, or Townsend? I must have missed the dispatcher giving cleareance to one of the RS3ms to roar up the line.

by redinkdrying

the MDDE keeps it's engines for the Snow Hill Line in Selbyville, DE. they get from the northern lines via the NS main in Harrington, DE. here is the MDDE's very helpfull company site, even has some railfaning photos and a pretty current roster of motive power!!! check out www.mdde.com for the Maryland and Delaware RR website.

by VaCentralRwy

I'm aware of the website, I know Scott who maintains it. If anyone off the peninsula is expecting to see MDDE power in Harrington is when they are shifting power around between the three lines are rotating them into the main shop in Federalsburg.

by SRC90

There's one In Delmar, DE. It's painted PRR, but it use to be C&O 90951.

by caboose9

SRC90 wrote,"There's one In Delmar, DE. It's painted PRR, but it use to be C&O 90951."

Hi,

C&O 90951 became B&O 90951, Class C-8, in 1971, and was sold to the DEL-MAR folks when retired in 1976, thus the "PRR" #76.

Cheers, Roger

by SRC90

Roger,
Thanks. I didn't know B&O owned it. But I did know why its number is 76. Thanks for the infomation.
  by davemattfan5

I was traveling
back from rehoboth beach two weeks ago and my friends and I decided to
take the Back roads via GPS. We ended up near Marydel, MD. We started
heading in the direction of Smyrna, DE after that and I noticed some
tracks paralleled the road right next to us for awhile. After 1/2 an
Hour and still following the tracks somewhat, I noticed a yellow,
abandoned, PRR-style station sitting just off to the right of the road.
I cannot find any information on this station or remember where
exactly it was since I was not driving. Does anyone know of anything like
this in the area?

It was next to the line...maybe the CHRR...in the middle of the field.

Re:

by norfolksouthern89

railroadcarmover wrote:Is the 80 tonner still in use at the Kraft Foods complex?
I recall seeing it there a few years ago. Its black.
Yeah, it still in service. There runs for coal plants.

Many time I saw 50 tonner still around in Krafts foods so interesting. Also, if you want be interested about photos so let see here,

by superman

We ended up near Marydel, MD. We started
heading in the direction of Smyrna, DE after that and I noticed some
tracks paralleled the road right next to us for awhile. After 1/2 an
Hour and still following the tracks somewhat, I noticed a yellow,
abandoned, PRR-style station sitting just off to the right of the road.
I cannot find any information on this station or remember where
exactly it was since I was not driving. Does anyone know of anything like
this in the area?
Sounds like you may have been on Slaughter Station Road around Hartly. That would be the Chesepeake line in the connection between Marydel and Smyrna as you were saying.