• BAR car at Palmer??

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by NellsChoo

Hi folks

I am curious about a rather ugly BAR car that we spotted parked at the Palmer yards. It is blue with a yellow stripe, with a black top and ends. It seems to have the number 100 on it. The windows are somewhat staggered on one end. I have photos but can't link to them yet.

Does anyone know what this car is?

Jonelle

by Aji-tater

I have not seen the BAR 100 car, but the windows are probably where the seats and bar are. The part without windows is probably for storage of booze, changing room for the waitresses and barmaids, and sink for washing the glasses. LOL!

by crij

Jonelle,

Are you talking about a Bangor and Arroostic (sp) coach or a bar (alcohol) car?

By your description, I doubt that it was #100, which was an observation car, and had the windows relativly evenly spread across the car side.

Probably it was #105, which is part of the safety train. If you don't know what the safety train is, it is a mobile classroom and training center for firemen and emergency responders to deal with fire and environmental hazards in and around traincars. The train was and I think still is run by the Massachusetts Call and Volenteer Firefighters Association.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... _Aroostook

If it was part of the safety train there would also have been 2 tankers, one marked for an acid, the other for liquid petrolium gas, a boxcar or two, possibly a former Santa-Fe coach and a caboose. Everything listed, other then the BAR 105 were in Willimantic about 2 years ago, the 105 could have replaced the Santa-Fe, which was looking a little ratty.

Take care,

Rich C

by NellsChoo

Nope

It is even rattier than the photo with the link (#105). Also, it was hooked up to regular freight. Where the windows were, it almost looked like there was some kind of metal rack. I still need to get the photo online so I can show you folks.

EDIT: HERE'S THE PHOTO!

by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

This car looks like a sleeper judging by the windows on the far end.
  by H.F.Malone

It's an ex-CN sleeper, from the "E" series (car names started with "E"-- Eastport, Elnora, Evangeline, you get the picture). They were in the 1110-1161 number series on CN, built 1954. They are 4-section, 4-double bedroom, 8-dulpex roomette (the staggered window area is the roomette area) sleepers.

If you can find an 1100-series number, the original name can be figured out.
  by H.F.Malone

From the photo, it looks like "EDMONTON". Is that it, Nells?

The stagger in the roomette windows is for a two-tier arrangement, kind of like the old Budd Slumbercoaches of the late 50s.

by NellsChoo

I can't read the name, even off the original photo.

I got two emails about the car:

"Good day, just ran into... photo of that ex VIA car. Although I don't know who bought it, I was just in VT last week and went to St-Johnsbury and there is a similar car parked inside a looked shed attached to the feed mill complex just across the station. I tried to get more info on it but couldn't see any markings from the only open spot only to know this is the same PS type slleper, did it had a nig lighht (headlight type) attached to the end on the right, if so this is likely the same..."

"BAR 110 was waybilled in Palmer this morning and will most likely come back to West Springfield on B740. About a month ago BAR 105 went down to GA. I believe both cars have been purchased by the Georgia Northeastern Railroad. Hope this helps."

Thoughts?

by crij

Since it was mentioned that it is waybilled to go to Springfield next, I wonder if this is the yet to arrive new coach for the CNZR (Central New England RR, aka Bellevue (sp?) rail construction company), that was mentioned on a Yahoo messageboard?

If it is, then it will probably travel down the CSOR (Ct Southern RR) and be parked with the Pennslyvannia coach in the Hartford Farmers Market, unless CNZR wants to work on it with their other equipment at the top end of the Armory branch.

Rich C
  by HighlandRail&DEY-7 652

The car that Bryan and Debbie Belleveau bought is the PRR stainless car the Betsy Ross, which is very similar to the Greenwhich Harbor. It is going to be used as the charter car, making the Greenwhich Harbor their exclusive private car.

by Aji-tater

Mike - I suggest you add "money" to the "time and patience" in your signature line. There's never enough of that, either.
  by litz

BAR 105, BAR 106, and BAR 114 all are owned by the Blue Ridge Scenic RR (a subsidiary of the Ga Northeastern).

105 and 106 are in regular service (these are fantastic cars, very nice interiors, with a superb smooth/quiet ride), while the 114 has been retired (it was formerly used as a concession car, now replaced by the ex-Southern 206) for the time being.

- litz
  by litz

BAR 110 is also property of the Blue Ridge Scenic RR (I believe, as noted above, it arrived with the 105, which was purchased as a sister car to the already-on-property 106).

Here it is in Blue Ridge, not looking all that much better than the picture above :

http://terminus.litz.org/rrpics/BAR%201 ... 0Ridge.jpg

We have the BAR 105 and 106 in active service but I can't seem to find any good pictures of them; when the train is parked those two cars are right next to the depot, which makes photography very difficult.

- litz