• NYNJ Rail purchased by Port Authority

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by FarRock41

Hi. Has anyone been to Bush terminal lately? I was there about 2 weeks ago. No action at all there. Do they still operate there? I heard they're under new ownership.
  by Nova55

Just a slow month im sure...I was told about some of there plans for this year...Lots of stuff on the books.
  by BMT

Haven't been down to the Bush lately, but I can verify that movement down (and up) the Bay Ridge branch has fallen off considerably. Moves used to be three/four times a week, now it's about twice weekly. :(
  by The Tenth Legion

I heard from a source I consider to be very well informed that NYNJ Rail has been taken over by the Port Authority of NY & NJ. Anybody else hear this, and what does it mean for their operations and their work with NYA? Thanks.
  by DogBert

For what it's worth the 'New York New Jersey Rail LLC' website is still up.
  by Jayjay1213

I have also heard that, and from a very reliable source as well. From what I was told, the Port Authority does not have much interest in the floating aspect, they seem to want the property on the NJ side. How much of it is true, time will tell! :-D
  by DogBert

"As one of the first steps toward addressing the current challenges with cross harbor freight movement, the Port Authority announced the acquisition and planned rehabilitation of the Jersey City, N.J.-based New York New Jersey Rail Corporation, which operates a rail float barge facility that transports cargo-filled rail cars between the two states. As part of the purchase, the agency assumed the existing lease for approximately 27 acres of land at Greenville Yard in Jersey City in connection with the rail float barge operation. The total acquisition cost is estimated at $16 million."

More:
http://www.panynj.gov/AboutthePortAutho ... hp?id=1151

Apparently the PA is still interested in the tunnel project enough to being doing an EIS on it.
  by FarRock41

Hi. Went over to The NYNJ yard today. They seem to be working out of an office trailer. Can they use the engine house or they out of there? They park the UP engine outside. Didn't get to see them operate, though.

Ron
  by Nova55

They got the boot out of the engine house. Or it was condemned..thing was falling in on itself..
  by deandremouse

Nova55 wrote:They got the boot out of the engine house. Or it was condemned..thing was falling in on itself..
Why I'm not surprised- its over100 years old or when the BEDT began. What happened to the N5 caboose office? its still there but...?
  by JoeRailRoad

deandremouse wrote:
Nova55 wrote:They got the boot out of the engine house. Or it was condemned..thing was falling in on itself..
Why I'm not surprised- its over100 years old or when the BEDT began. What happened to the N5 caboose office? its still there but...?
Sorry but BEDT had nothing to do with Bush Terminal were NYNJ Rail is located.

Here are a couple of links about some of these terminals.
http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/BEDT.html
http://www.trainweb.org/bedt/IndustrialLocos.html

Joe
  by FarRock41

Hi. The caboose is there on the property. Did they use it for a yard office? Well, the old enginehouse is pretty decrepit. That building has got to be close to 100 yrs old. 1920's perhaps? I took many pictures there, even got close up to the building and took some pics of 59- 58. They have that check point there, so I don't realy go in there anymore. The yard was pretty crowded with cars.
  by freightguy

I worked there for a short period, the roof used to leak really bad during a rainstorm. The caboose hasn't been used in years. I guess they just keep UPY 1133 parked outside like alot of other railroads, although it was always somewhat warm in the morning being inside during winter