• Carleton Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by WNYRailfan

I know Carleton is in Michigan but it is related to Ohio because it was the chief tower that governed the junction between the DT&I, C&O, and PRR Detroit Branch. As well as the DT&I/PRR interchange track. The DT&I is now owned by CN, which also owns the tower. The C&O is CSX and the PRR is CSX/NS joint trackage to Detroit.

The Carleton tower is another tower rumored to be demolished. This tower is in good condition. It would make an ideal railfan location because of the action on the CN and CSX tracks. It is not nearly as busy as it was in its heyday, but nonetheless still some action.

Does anyone know when this tower was closed and signals installed?

by Beech Cricker

I believe Carleton was a CSX, not GTW, tower.

If I recall correctly it has been closed for about five years now.

I think there is/was an effort by local folks to preserve this tower but haven't heard anything about this in some time.

Maybe someone else out there has more detail on my comments above.

Jeff

by railohio

The DT&I branch to Toledo was ripped up years ago. Are you thinking of the CN Shore Line Sub which is the former DTSL (Detroit & Toledo Shore Line)?

by WNYRailfan

Here is a link to an unofficial PennCentral Era map of Carleton, Michigan:

http://pc.smellycat.com/maps/udiagrams/prr6001.gif

by Beech Cricker

railohio wrote:The DT&I branch to Toledo was ripped up years ago. Are you thinking of the CN Shore Line Sub which is the former DTSL (Detroit & Toledo Shore Line)?
The ex-DT&I line through Carleton was that road's main line from Flat Rock, MI into Ohio. The DT&I's branch to Toledo joined this line south of Carleton, at Petersburg Jct. (I think).

Jeff