• N scale advice?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Pinewald Station

Thinking about trying N scale. I like the more with less room theory. What manufacturers would everybody recomend for engines,rolling stock and track.
Any suggestions/help would be great ..thanks
  by keeper1616

Engines: Kato and Atlas - stay away from lifelike and bachmann

Rolling Stock: Atheran, Atlas, Microtrains - stay away from lifelike, concor and backmann (see a pattern here? :))

I like the atlas code 55 track.

Some people may diagree with me on these, feel free to comment.
  by RWERN

I'd only go with Bachmann for very particular things, such as HHP-8s, Amfleets, Acela, and electrics. Of course, you'd have to convert couplers.
  by Pinewald Station

Thanks for the advise.....I have O guage and had HO so I was wondering what to buy in N. Do all couplers have to be changed?
  by keeper1616

There are 2 types of couplers in N scale.

The older rapido type:

And the newer Micro-trains type:

There are several other types that have become popular in the past few years, but they are all compatable with the Micro-trains couplers. Nearly all of your newer (2000-present) rolling stock will come with the Micro-trains couplers, with the exception of low-end locomotives and rolling stock (Bachmann, Lifelike, etc).

There is an excellent article I found while googling for pictures of the above couplers:
http://www.nscaledivision.com/informati ... uplers.htm
  by Pinewald Station

Thanks for all the great info guys! So if I buy Atlas or Kato or Microtrains i don't need to change couplers?
Lot of stuff on Ebay I have to look at!!
  by Pinewald Station

Thanks fot the info Tom......where is Webster NY?.....
  by keeper1616

Pinewald Station wrote:Thanks fot the info Tom......where is Webster NY?.....
Near Rochester
  by Pinewald Station

[/quote]
Near Rochester[/quote]
been there..born in Buffalo and lived in Tonawanda.......73 Mike

long suffering Bills and Sabres fan......
  by scharnhorst

keeper1616 wrote:Engines: Kato and Atlas - stay away from lifelike and bachmann

Rolling Stock: Atheran, Atlas, Microtrains - stay away from lifelike, concor and backmann (see a pattern here? :))

I like the atlas code 55 track.

Some people may diagree with me on these, feel free to comment.
Life Like locos made by Trueline trains or lifelike canada are the best ones. Plane jane lifelikes are ok if you want amtrack F40PH's, GP20'S, SD7/9, GP18, small SW8/9 and 1200's and C424's these units are a little tough to hook up for DCC. Avoid the GP38's there cheap looking and lack much detail spend the $80 and get the Atlas GP38's

Liflike Canada has RS10's, RS18's, and GP9's with Low nose offered in Canadian road names only these are nice!
  by jmp883

N-scale was the best thing I did in my model railroad hobby. I was in HO since the early 70's until I made the switch in the early 90's. I had gone several years in the early 90's without model railroading due to a lack of space for my HO layout. Due to circumstances if I wanted to get back in the hobby it was going to be either N or Z. Z didn't appeal simply because of it's size and cost. N, at first, didn't appeal either. I had a cousin who had N in the 70's and trust me when I tell you that N in the 70's was total garbage. It didn't matter who made it. He had Arnold, Marklin, Atlas, and Trix. They were supposedly the best in N at the time but they all ran like garbage, if and when they ran at all. The rolling stock available wasn't much to write home about either...between the Rapido couplers and the shiny silver wheels with huge flanges they sure didn't look prototypical.

Well one day I was in my local hobby shop looking for reading material when a customer came in and purchased an N-scale engine. The store owner took the Atlas engine out and put it on the test track before ringing up the sale to make sure everything was fine with the engine. Needless to say I was quite impressed with that engine's performance and looks. If I remember correctly I was in N-scale by the end of that week! I built my layout on a hollow-core door so it will be very easy to move (my current residence situation is temporary at best) when that time comes. It's a modified Atlas trackplan. I can have one train running continuously while I switch a 3 track yard with another engine. While the DC block wire control system is just fine I'm contemplating a switch to DCC to further simplify things. Since I plan this layout to become part of a larger layout I have no problem with wanting to go DCC now...I figure this layout will be the perfect learning tool for DCC.

My preferences pretty much mirror everyone's previous postings:

Locomotives: Atlas and Kato
Life Like locos aren't that bad. I have several SW-900's and Alco C-424's and they are fully the equal of Atlas and Kato. Like Scharnhorst wrote you just need to be careful what you buy from them.
Rolling Stock: Micro-Trains and Atlas
Couplers: Micro-Trains and Accumate. They are compatible with each other and most everything comes factory-equipped with one or the other. Conversions, if you have to do them at all anymore, are fairly simple. M/T makes fully assembled couplers that will drop right into most Atlas and Kato engines and they have so many truck/coupler combos that you can convert almost any piece of freight or passenger rolling stock on the market.
Track: Atlas-I currently use code 80

Click on the globe icon under my avatar to see my little N-scale world!

Whatever scale you choose enjoy the hobby! :-D
  by Pinewald Station

Found my N scale Atlas Track plan book......Bought it about 20+ years ago for $3.25 !!1 Clicked on the globe link and looked at the layout.....very nice !!
  by jmp883

Thanks! The story of my layout is actually based on reality dosed with a bit of 'what if' fantasy. There have been a lot more locomotives added to the roster since that last update. I also still have to finish the village. There are so many building kits piled on that side of the layout. Unfortunately with spring coming my Honda Gold Wing has a stronger call than the layout does!

I wish I could remember which layout plan it was but I'm really happy with all the decisions I've made so far.
  by Pinewald Station

Well it sure looks great.....I think every layout has a bit of fantasy in it.......Might like doing a CSX?NS with unpainted CR units and model it after an area near me.....I thin that would be fun...