• Manchester Bridge, NY (NH Maybrook Branch) - viaduct gone

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
  by Pacobell73

I am curious to know what happen to the massive concrete viaduct that crossed over Rt. 55 (Manchester Road) in Manchester Bridge, NY. It hosted the abandoned Penn Central (nee-New Haven) Maybrook Branch just east of the Poughkeepsie bridge. I recall taking videos and photos of this massive viaduct as it crossed over Rt. 55 and a river.

Link to Google map here - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... iwloc=addr
Last edited by Pacobell73 on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

It was removed about 8 years ago when right of way was absorbed by DOT, The viaduct had to be removed to widen Rt 55.
  by Pacobell73

Gotcha. That must have been quite a job.

Does DOT still own the ROW?
  by DutchRailnut

yes they own from Poughkeepsie bridge to Hopewell Jct, the Right of way was gone be used for a water line with a trail on top.
  by Bernard Rudberg

The late Austin McEntee took a series of photos of the concrete removal process. It was tougher than planned and took longer than the engineers had figured.

Dutchess County owns that section of the old Maybrook Line. The rail trail construction started last year and parts have been completed. The rest is scheduled out over the next couple years. At route 55 the plan is to build a 5 section pedestrian bridge over the road and the creek.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Pacobell73

Bernard Rudberg wrote:I have posted some of Austin McEntee's photos on a web site. There are 23 sections in the web site. Select the section titled Poughkeepsie Bridge After the Fire and scroll down.http://www.kinglyheirs.com/CNE/Poughkee ... rFire.html. Bernie Rudberg
Not the easiest site to navigate. I cannot find any pix of the viaduct being dismantled. Please advise...thanx! :-D
  by Bernard Rudberg

The pictures are on the web site that you posted on your note. Go to that web site and scroll down toward the bottom pages. There are several photos of the demolition of the route 55 overpass.

If you still have problems, let me know.

Bernie Rudberg
  by Pacobell73

Sorry, my PC at work could not display the pix. I saw them on my Mac at home. Thanx! I will have to post a video I took in 1995 walking atop of the bridge.