• NYNJ Rail switches Tropicana

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JoeRailRoad

I heard that NYNJ Rail made a drill at Tropicana recently.

Does anyone know if this was a one time thing or will they be switching Tropicana regularly?
  by wolfboy8171981

last I knew Tropicana had there own railroad crew. They leased engines from CSX. They also leased engines from the M&E and PJRR. Perhaps they "borrowed" a NYNJ engine while there lease engine was down for repairs.
  by CarterB

How far off Tropicana property does Trop operate with their own equip/crews....or is it just in their own yard?
  by wolfboy8171981

CarterB wrote:How far off Tropicana property does Trop operate with their own equip/crews....or is it just in their own yard?
Just on there own property.
  by Shark

Tropicana had an ex-Conrail/NS GMTX GP15-1 working there back in September/October.
  by Steve F45

is there any place down by the tropicana plant that you can view and snap some pics legally?
  by njt5140

Steve F45 wrote:is there any place down by the tropicana plant that you can view and snap some pics legally?
It's all "No Man's Land". Even if it wasn't the natives would shoot or stab you first!
  by Kaback9

njt5140 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:is there any place down by the tropicana plant that you can view and snap some pics legally?
It's all "No Man's Land". Even if it wasn't the natives would shoot or stab you first!
Hahaha, in other words stay out if you don't want law enforcement troubles but if you must, bring ammo and Kevlar, oh and don't forget the gun ( your choice of firearm of course)
  by CarterB

Not true about 'no man's land'. Tropicana is a customer of mine, am there all the time.

If you access Colony Road off Port Jersey Blvd. and go to the end, you have a great view of the Tropicana yard from the south.
Just DO NOT cross the tracks onto private property.

Last time I was out near the yard, there were two orange Trop locos, not sure what types. Usually parked at far W end of the northernmost track, next to the main plant building when not in use.
  by JoeRailRoad

wolfboy8171981 wrote:last I knew Tropicana had there own railroad crew. They leased engines from CSX. They also leased engines from the M&E and PJRR. Perhaps they "borrowed" a NYNJ engine while there lease engine was down for repairs.
It was my understanding that the NYNJ Rail themselves made the drill.

Joe
  by wolfboy8171981

JoeRailRoad wrote:
wolfboy8171981 wrote:last I knew Tropicana had there own railroad crew. They leased engines from CSX. They also leased engines from the M&E and PJRR. Perhaps they "borrowed" a NYNJ engine while there lease engine was down for repairs.

Joe
So you must have a better source than anyone here since you already knew.
  by JoeRailRoad

wolfboy8171981 wrote:
JoeRailRoad wrote:

Joe
So you must have a better source than anyone here since you already knew.
No Sir.

It was info I got, not 2nd hand, but 5th hand. :-D

I just posted it to see if anybody else heard the same.

Joe
  by philipmartin

Where is this Tropicana spot that you are talking about? Tropicana used to be in the Meadows Yard, near where the MMC is now.
  by Nova55

West end of Greenville, North of the current "A" yard.
  by philipmartin

Thanks. The railroad has changed since the Pennsy days.