• Some passengers on 3 sequential disabled trains

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by JamesRR

Today I heard the portal bridge got stuck open - NJT and Amtrak are really bad. I mean, there are more days with problems than without. All the money invested in trackwork, signal work, new equipment, and it seems to run as bad now as 10 years ago.[/quote]

And what railroad are you in charge of maintaining?[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything? The point is, Amtrak has been doing ongoing signal upgrades, track upgrades, etc, and yet it seems like they often have signal problems, switch problems and so on, completely cutting off service between Newark Penn and NYP. Coupled with NJT's constantly disabled trains. I could see if delays happened occasionally, but more often they happen several times a week. I know it's an old system with old equipment running at the breaking point, but there's no excuse for the bad communication to riders. Often times, commuters have more current information obtained from cellphones than the actual crew has.

There have also been comments blaming cold weather - yet anyone who rides year-round knows that there are as many problems during warm weather as cold.
  by arrow

nick11a wrote:
arrow wrote:Things will go wrong with all types of equipment but the fact remains that mu equipment is much more forgiving than a single locomotive.

Yes I know arrows can't do midtown direct but hopefully the next order for mu's will solve that (wishful thinking).
Hmm, some things never change, do they Arrow. :-)

I recall you, years ago when the 46s were new and had some teething issues, saying something like:

"When you're on your mixed Comet-bag set with your shiny brand new ALP46 as power disabled on the NEC waiting for a rescue, I'll be wizzing by you on my Arrow III set...."
hahaha that does sound like something I'd say. I still think it's true of course.
  by sixty-six

JamesRR wrote:Today I heard the portal bridge got stuck open - NJT and Amtrak are really bad. I mean, there are more days with problems than without. All the money invested in trackwork, signal work, new equipment, and it seems to run as bad now as 10 years ago.
And what railroad are you in charge of maintaining?[/quote]

What does that have to do with anything? The point is, Amtrak has been doing ongoing signal upgrades, track upgrades, etc, and yet it seems like they often have signal problems, switch problems and so on, completely cutting off service between Newark Penn and NYP. Coupled with NJT's constantly disabled trains. I could see if delays happened occasionally, but more often they happen several times a week. I know it's an old system with old equipment running at the breaking point, but there's no excuse for the bad communication to riders. Often times, commuters have more current information obtained from cellphones than the actual crew has.

There have also been comments blaming cold weather - yet anyone who rides year-round knows that there are as many problems during warm weather as cold.[/quote]

You can do all the trackwork and signal upgrades you want. When theres a ridiculously old bridge involved, youre going to get failures no matter what. Its a lot harder to replace a bridge than it is signals and tracks.

Perhaps the information you're getting on your cell phone isnt 100% true. I've heard news updates give out completely wrong information more than once.
  by Sirsonic

sullivan1985 wrote:
Kaback9 wrote:Lucky for us Portal is to be replaced.
Not for another few years! Bwahahahaha! Delays for all!
Ehh, delays = more free tickets for passengers.