• St J &LC 70T GE roster question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by svobronco

Does anyone know the disposition of the 70Ts from Vermont. One of the units went to NC, but I don't know which one and I know #50 became M&B 19 and was still kicking around VT up until they scrapped the Lamoille Valley. Did that get scrapped too?

THX

Greg
  by RonM

I don't know the answear but can steer you in the right direction.

Try asking on the Pinsly_Railroads Page on Yahoo Groups. I highly recommend joining to anyone interested as it is a pretty active group. And there was recent discussion of 70 Tonners, especially the ones that went to the F&C. Another source might be the Robert C Jones Vermont Railroad books or Vermont Granite Railroads. All recommended. I don't have any of them here so I can't look.

Hope I got this right 'cos I got beat up on the West Lebanon / Hartford (VT)err Connecticut? roundhouse inquiry thread lol :razz:
  by shadyjay

RonM wrote: Hope I got this right 'cos I got beat up on the West Lebanon / Hartford (VT)err Connecticut? roundhouse inquiry thread lol :razz:
Umm...yeah... that was me. No hard feelings I hope. There are no stupid questions. At least in my book. :-)

More StJ&LC references - Railfan & Railroad magazine from the early 1980s - 1980-1982 timeframe I believe had 3 seperate articles in 3 consecutive issues on the history of the line, from the original days to the then-present LVRC. There were lots of owners between the Pinsly era and the LVRC era, and lots of names. If I still have the issues, I'll check and see if the 70-tonners are mentioned, when I get home Monday.
  by Mikejf

I thought the Belfast & Moosehead Lake bought one also. I know the had a fleet of 70 tonners. Some still survive, although the railroad does not. One 70 ton went to Downeast Scenic near Ellsworth. Not sure where it came from originally.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... t%20Scenic
Mike
  by TomNelligan

I'm surprised that no one checked Wikipedia, which knows everything and sometimes is even correct. You can find a StJ&LC roster there, including dispositions.

StJ&LC Wiki page

I don't think that any of the 70-Tonners that are listed as being "sold" to the M&B in 1973 actually operated there. Basically that was just an in-house transfer when the Pinsley organization sold the railroad and assigned the retired hulks to another Pinsley property. In fact I'm not sure whether they all actually made the physical move. I don't remember that may derelicts stored around the Montpelier yard in the early 70s, but that was a long time ago and some may have been inside the shop.
  by Mikejf

TomNelligan wrote:I'm surprised that no one checked Wikipedia, which knows everything and sometimes is even correct.
Eventually I will remember that (I hope) because that is a very handy site.
  by laflamcs

Back around in that 2003 or so period, I was in the yard at Morrisville by the enginehouse and saw signs of scrapping/burning in that exact spot that locomotive is seen in that photo. Bits of medal, burned/cut brush, and some junction box/fuse switches on the ground. Towards the back of the enginehouse was a seemingly newly placed frame of a locomotive, fenced off with wooden stakes and yellow tape. Nearby sat a fuel tank. To me, this seems like it could be the same remains of that locomotive. The yard had been partially cleared to allow scrapping (some trees cut.) I don't know if I'll ever recover from the death of my favorite railroad... :(

...Chris
  by svobronco

I remember taking a few pictures of #19 when it was sitting in Greensboro (?) 1/92. I guess it made it to the engine house then on to the scrap pile. Just like the P&W #1601 and Amtrak #117& #144 RS3's that were scrapped in Morrisville about that time.

Greg
  by oibu

Slightly OT but I'd enjoy seeing pics of the Ex P&W units or the 4073 on the LVRC. Or for that matter any pics of 4073 when it was in service in the black scheme. Anybody got some they could share or know of any? I got shots of the 4073, 117, and 144 on the Morrisville deadline in 1994 but the others were gone by then. And the only shots I've seen of 4-73 in black are after it was retired.

Re: Scrapping in Morrisville, the 19, 3608, and flanger (and 7805?) were all cut up there. Forget excatly when as they were all still there teh last time I was there in 8/2003... eiteh rlater that year or 2004 most likely.
  by coosvalley

Slightly OT but I'd enjoy seeing pics of the Ex P&W units or the 4073 on the LVRC. Or for that matter any pics of 4073 when it was in service in the black scheme. Anybody got some they could share or know of any? I got shots of the 4073, 117, and 144 on the Morrisville deadline in 1994 but the others were gone by then. And the only shots I've seen of 4-73 in black are after it was retired.

Re: Scrapping in Morrisville, the 19, 3608, and flanger (and 7805?) were all cut up there. Forget excatly when as they were all still there teh last time I was there in 8/2003... eiteh rlater that year or 2004 most likely.
I was at Mville in 03/04ish, and by then the 7805 was nowhere to be found, though the 19, 3608, and the flanger were there. I even got to peek inside the house thanks to a cleverly placed trash can.

I heard that the 19 was headed for someones backyard, cannot confirm this, though.Here are a few pics from then..

I visited Mville one more time after this, and someone had pushed the 19 down the hill and it was sitting on the switch that connects w/ the mainline.
  by RonM

This topic is currently being discussed on the Yahoo Pinsly Railroad list. Steve Mumley just posted this:
"OK, here's the deal on the St J engines;
StJ&LC #49 Built July 1949 SN#30022. It looks like the #49 was involved in a derailment or had a problem with it's frame as the StJ in their St. Johnsbury Shop made one unit out of two and numbered it #55. #55 was made up of the frame and cab of ACF #5346 Ex Lakeside & Marblehead #11 SN#30175 purchased from Luria Bros Scrap yard and the engine and main generator and long hood from #49 . #55 had the SN of #30175.from the ACF unit. The remains of #49 was scrapped in 4/63. Now to the Mississippi Export #49 that was pictured in St Johnsbury about this time, I would guess the StJ&LC was looking at it for the rebuild of number 55. It must of had problems or was too much money so therefore the ACF unit was purchased which I would guess was only the shell, Luria Bros keeping the heavy metal.
In 1958 the StJ purchased two Mississippi Export units # 48 and #50 which became StJ&LC #53 SN#31168 and #54, SN#31724. The ME purchased these new from GE but the GE records do not show a #49. They must have purchased it second hand plus it was painted a different color than the #48 & #50. I will send a photo later of #49.
StJ #53 was sold in July 1960 to Spruce Falls Power & Paper Co. at Kapuskasing Ontario and then later to Erie Commercial RN #20. I don't know if she is still around. #54 was transferred to the M&B after Pinsley sold out to the state. It sat in Montpelier yard for about 10 years before they cut it up.
OK, back to square one. What is the back ground on Miss Export #49 ????
Steve Mumley"
  by mowingman

There is a detailed list of the disposition of each of the St. J.'s 70 tonners, in issue #90 of Extra 2200 South. Not sure how hard it will be to find an old copy of this issue. It lists 12, 70 tonners, and where they went after use at the ST.J.
Jeff