• Weekend Corridor Load Factors

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by ryanov

Having ridden 161(17), I can tell you that the weekend trains get ridiculously packed... There were several people seated in the bathrooms on the floor, luggage and all. Every piece of non-aisle floor space was occupied, and the aisles were packed with people too... whenever some standees would get a chance to sit, more would come on.

Do I think this justifies all-reserved trains? No, because you can simply take a reserved train or reserve in business class if you NEED a seat. This seems to give one fewer options...

But I do believe that is the rationale.
  by jp1822

There are standing conditions every day on some unreserved trains - not ALL unreserved trains though. My recent encounter was on a Wednesday mid-afternoon Regional NYP to WAS train (that originated in BOS) that had Ex-Metroliner equipment assigned to it, which meant fewer seats than a regular NEC Regional train. The conductor was fuming and stated to me "it happens every day and I have begged to get another coach added to this train."

If Amtrak was flexible in adding coaches to meet demand (and thus additional revenue), then the weekends all-reserved trains would be a good idea. But I can't see that happening. Instead if a reservation is not available on a particular weekend train, people are going to have chose another travel option - whether it be a different train or different mode of transportation.

Overall, this could very easily lead to revenue issues for Amtrak. At present Amtrak is under the assumption passengers will just chose a different train - that's eaiser said than done. Weekend conditions on NEC trains often become - pack as many as you can in the train and go.

I understand the importance of getting a seat on a train - for comfort and safety - but Amtrak needs to be flexible on adding cars to trains if all weekend NEC trains are changed to reserved only.
  by The_Rockaway_Kid

My recent encounter was on a Wednesday mid-afternoon Regional NYP to WAS train (that originated in BOS) that had Ex-Metroliner equipment assigned to it, which meant fewer seats than a regular NEC Regional train.
aside from window dressings, how can you tell which trains are ex-metroliners? what are the fleet numbers, and how often are they used in regional service?
  by jp1822

Best way is take one of the current Metroliners and then you will be able to tell the difference. It's tough nowadays to tell the difference, as many former Metroliner Amfleet cars are utilized throughout the NEC (including two sets that run as the Adirondack) and blend in better with other renovated Amfleets in a mixed Amfleet consist.

In brief - coaches have more legroom (less seating) and you have capstone/renovated interiors. The cafe also had some Metroliner tag lines. The other reason I knew this trainset used to operate as a Metroliner trainset was because the conductor told me so when I asked.

Some Metroliners are being resurrected for weekend service with the Nov 1 timetable change.