Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Otto Vondrak

So when "The Last Day" finally comes... what will happen to the FL9's? Will the CDOT ones be transferred back to CDOT? Will they all just stay at Harmon until they are cut up or sold? Has there been any formal plan announced by either agency?

-otto-
  by DutchRailnut

Most likely returned to CDOT in working order, at CDOT they will either store them , lend them to museums in Ct, or dispose of them.
any and all equipment CDOT owned, and lend to Museums is still theirs and gets inventoried every year.
Including the ex SEPTA cars in Danbury museum.
The old wire train cars, including the blue bagage car etc etc.
  by BiggAW

If they were lent to museums or tourist railroads would they be allowed to run/use them?
  by DutchRailnut

Sure, if they can afford to keep inspections and maintenance current, and if they got track to run them on.
  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:If they were lent to museums or tourist railroads would they be allowed to run/use them?
NO!! Absolutely not!!

Oh wait, shoot... I lied. Naugatuck Railroad uses the two they have... the others at DRM and CERM are stored awaiting restoration to service.

http://naugy.blogspot.com/2008/10/cdot- ... 9-emd.html
  by BiggAW

Nice! Do they have to be kept up to the original 79mph commuter standards or the 25mph tourist train standards?

I highly doubt Essex would want big diesels, but if they did, would CDOT be able to "give" them a pair since they are a for-profit entity even though they are the most deeply involved in historic train operations in the state?
  by DutchRailnut

There is no separate standards for separate speeds, The FRA rules are for all locomotives.
No CDOT will not give locomotives away, they will lend them to a Museum but always with option to take them back.

Essex is not into any diesels other than their switcher, its Essex STEAM railroad.
  by BiggAW

I was asking a question and I acknowledged that they probably wouldn't want it. They have two diesel switchers. Granted, the economics of steam may be different in the future, although if it were, the price of diesel would likely be such that FL9s would be too expensive compared to the very efficient 0900.

Hence "give" i.e. lend/ lease at $1/year with no intention to ever take back.

EDIT: I am talking about the economics of off-season and weekday trains, not that VRR is going to somehow disappear as the mecca of steam. They will be more so in the future, with 2 going-on-3-possibly-4 operating steam locomotives over the next decade.
  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:Nice! Do they have to be kept up to the original 79mph commuter standards or the 25mph tourist train standards?
"They" can do whatever they want with them, and whatever their funds and volunteer labor allows. I don't know of any "25mp tourist train standard," can you point it out for me?
I highly doubt Essex would want big diesels
I agree...
but if they did, would CDOT be able to "give" them a pair since they are a for-profit entity even though they are the most deeply involved in historic train operations in the state?
Nah, I think we'd rather cut them up and turn them into Chevys and razor blades. ;-) CDOT can do whatever it wants with its property, lend/lease sounds most likely. But for right now, they are still active, no sense guessing hypothetical situations...
  by Otto Vondrak

BiggAW wrote:I was asking a question and I acknowledged that they probably wouldn't want it. They have two diesel switchers. Granted, the economics of steam may be different in the future, although if it were, the price of diesel would likely be such that FL9s would be too expensive compared to the very efficient 0900.

Hence "give" i.e. lend/ lease at $1/year with no intention to ever take back.

EDIT: I am talking about the economics of off-season and weekday trains, not that VRR is going to somehow disappear as the mecca of steam. They will be more so in the future, with 2 going-on-3-possibly-4 operating steam locomotives over the next decade.
You'd have to ask the Essex Steam Train. Right now, your question is purely academic, since VRR is not looking for diesels, and CDOT isn't giving any away right now.

-otto-
  by trainguy2024

I hope they use 2006 in the yard with train rides they offer. Would be nice to see an FL9 running in that capacity. Its sad to see them go but I was glad to see them run in service in 2009
  by DutchRailnut

At DRM the 2006 is partialy burned out, including both tranction motors in rear truck and Hep compartment, happened before DRM got it..
The 2013 is in better shape locomotive is ok just a leak in HEP radiators.
  by Alpha One

When ever they are done with any train anywhere they should clean them and sink them as reefs off the coasts of NY, CT, NJ and RI. The North East is in desperat need of theese false reefs. They are great for SCUBA Divers and marine life. Rather then just scrap the cars we should do something better with them. The scrap metal market is currently lieing face down in the bathroom in the house so the cars would be worth more on the bottom of our oceans then in China?

How do you guys feel about my opinion on this matter?

A1
  by DutchRailnut

Scrap metal is still higher than it was 5 years ago, your Idea sucks, not because its a train but simply a old cargo ship will built a reaf faster and better.
the excuus to use rail cars may have held up for Asbestos laden redbirds, but to sink stainless steel cars, like they do now is rediculous.
  by Amtrak7

Will we still be able to see them at this year's Harmon Open House?