• New MBTA Commuter Rail Schedules Effective November 1

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Diverging Route

New MBTA Commuter Rail schedules are now available, that take effect November 1. The pamphlets are an orangish-brown color. There don't seem to be too many changes; I couldn't find any of significance on the north side.

On the south side, the Attleboro/Providence line has the greatest number of changes. Most are related to the Amtrak Acela Express schedule modifications, that now have the AEs leaving from South Station at :20 past the hour on weekdays, versus :15 past. In particular, MBTA #817 will leave at 5:00pm, three minutes earlier, and #820 will leave at 5:05pm, ten minutes earlier. Currently, 817 wrong-rails from Canton Junction to Mansfield, so that AE 2175, the 5:15 departure, can pass "on the right." While 817 holds on track 2 at Mansfield waiting for the AE to go by, 820 holds south of Mansfield until 817 crosses over to track 1. It's an inconvenience for both MBTA trains, on a good day.

With this schedule change, it appears as though 820 will clear Manfield on track 2 in time for 817 to make its Mansfield stop on track 1, then cross over to track 2 so that 2175 can blast through on track 1 while 817 is on its way to Attleboro. We'll see in a week if this is how it goes!

In addition, trains 875 and 879, currently terminating at Canton Junction, are extended to Canton Center; and 876 and 890, that currently originate at CJ will originate at CC.

All of the new schedules are posted on the MBTA Web site at http://www.mbta.com/traveling_t/schedul ... inter.asp#

by CRail

is that all of the changes or only the ones on that route?

by Diverging Route

I went over to South Station at lunchtime to pick up the new schedules. They also have a two-page handout there listing all of the changes. Most of the lines have a few minor changes (a few minutes here and there to help "on time performance). But there are no wholesale additions or deletions of trains, nor major schedule shifts other than those I noted on the Providence line.

by Ron Newman

At North Station they have a one-page leaflet describing the changes on that side. They all seem pretty minor. All one-minute changes except for Lowell train #305 which is s 5-6 minute change.

by trigonalmayhem

Gr! They still haven't decided to let P565 (the 8:30 train from SS to Framingham) run all the way to Worcester. I've been hoping (and writing letters) for this for a few years now. Oh well.

It would just be nice to see some of that increase in service that they promised when they hiked fares last year.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

wow that is a lot of changes for the Attleboro line
  by Ron Newman

Here's what the North Side leaflet says:

Haverhill - No Changes

Newburyport/Rockport
130 - Departs 1 minutes earlier from all stations Manchester to Boston.
To improve On-Time Performance.

66 - Departs 1 minute earlier from all stations Beverly to Boston,
with additional F-stop at River Works 4:36 pm.
To improve On-Time Performance and customer request.

181 - Departs 1 minute earlier from Swampscott to Rowley
To improve On-Time Performance.

Lowell
305 - Departs North Staiton, West Medford, Winchester, and Anderson 5 minutes later and 6 minutes later at Wilmington and North Billerica. To eliminate a conflict with inbound train at Wilmington.

Fitchburg
435 - Stops additionally at Silver Hill at 8:09 pm. Printing error in previous schedule.

by Robert Paniagua

How about the Old Colony Line (Kingston/Plymouth and Middleboro-Lakeville)?

Any changes that I should be aware of in my neighbourhood?

by CSX Conductor

Here you go Robert:

Train #96: No longer stops at South Weymouth and Braintree. "These stops are not being utilized, the extra time allows improvements in On-Time-Performance.

Train #45: Stop @ JFK at 5:11PM instead of 5:12PM, add 1 minute at South Weymouth.

Train #'s 1036/2036: Change time @ South Weymouth from 12:04PM to 12:08PM. (printing error in previous schedule)

Train #'s 1037/2037: Revise schedule leaving Boston 5 minutes later @ 4:40PM, arriving Kingston 5 minutes later @ 5:35PM. "To eliminate operating congestion with train #'s 1038 and 2038, this improves On Time Performance.

I also couldn't help but to notice the way the MBTA spelled Hersey on the timetable change sheet. (Heresy) LOL :P

by Robert Paniagua

Thanks, CSXT Conductor. That'll be a few changes for those routes. I bet that the Braintree and Quincy Adams Red Line Rapid transit garages will be full too, since many folks from my area will be riding the Red Line into town.