• 3 weeks training for UP train service

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by iflyfreee

I got called for train service in Van Buren, AR why is the training in Salt Lake City is this where all the training is located
  by snakebite

Because that's where the training center is located, and no, not all training is done there.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Let's fly this post into the Employment Forum.......
  by jescates

Unless your from Van Buren, be thankful. I hired out of Dalhart Texas and did my training here. Because of that, I had to pay my own expenses. Try staying in a small town hotel for 3 weeks. You would think it would have been cheap, but it cost me nearly 300 a week.
  by ArkansasAlex

Did you get the UP job in van buren? I am from Arkansas but dont know much about that town. Hopefully it is nice!

-Alex
  by UPRR engineer

iflyfreee wrote:I got called for train service in Van Buren, AR why is the training in Salt Lake City is this where all the training is located
Your going to SLC because they decided to do a class there, has nothing to do with the Training Center being there, hogheads and mech. people get sent there. You will probibly be going threw school there with people from other places then where you hired out. Find someone to teach the class, or a place to hold it is the reason for it being there. It just happens to be in SLC for you. Theres been a few new guys from here that went to Texas to go threw school, it just depends on when and where they can get your class in.
  by Burner

jescates wrote:Unless your from Van Buren, be thankful. I hired out of Dalhart Texas and did my training here. Because of that, I had to pay my own expenses. Try staying in a small town hotel for 3 weeks. You would think it would have been cheap, but it cost me nearly 300 a week.

Thats your own fault... If you lived more than 45 miles away you could have had a hotel room and a meal allowance the st 3 weeks... But you had to ask for it.

Until you have completed Brakeman training (1st 3 weeks), it doesnt matter where you hire out. After that you no longer have a home, you have a home terminal.
  by iflyfreee

I know they give you 1k to offset expenses but do they offer a meal allowance as well and if so how much am i allowed to spend
  by jescates

Burner wrote:
jescates wrote:Unless your from Van Buren, be thankful. I hired out of Dalhart Texas and did my training here. Because of that, I had to pay my own expenses. Try staying in a small town hotel for 3 weeks. You would think it would have been cheap, but it cost me nearly 300 a week.

Thats your own fault... If you lived more than 45 miles away you could have had a hotel room and a meal allowance the st 3 weeks... But you had to ask for it.

Until you have completed Brakeman training (1st 3 weeks), it doesnt matter where you hire out. After that you no longer have a home, you have a home terminal.
Oh, I did ask them....in fact I called HR twice and even the instructor told us, that if you hire out in one location and do the training in the same location, the UP no longer foots the bill for a hotel. Maybe they did in the past, but not anymore! In fact, they told us that at the hiring session also. No big deal, I got the job and so far I am liking it!
  by Burner

iflyfreee wrote:I know they give you 1k to offset expenses but do they offer a meal allowance as well and if so how much am i allowed to spend

When I went, I got a hotel paid for, and a check for 3 weeks of meals at $28 a day, no need for receipts.
  by cifn2

UPRR engineer wrote:
iflyfreee wrote:I got called for train service in Van Buren, AR why is the training in Salt Lake City is this where all the training is located
Your going to SLC because they decided to do a class there, has nothing to do with the Training Center being there, hogheads and mech. people get sent there. You will probibly be going threw school there with people from other places then where you hired out. Find someone to teach the class, or a place to hold it is the reason for it being there. It just happens to be in SLC for you. Theres been a few new guys from here that went to Texas to go threw school, it just depends on when and where they can get your class in.

I had heard they were doing some moving around with the traveling instructors and cutting some of them back down to Conductors/ Engineers, I thought it was just rumors, but this appears to be more the truth.
  by chemin-de-fer

cifn2 wrote:
UPRR engineer wrote: I had heard they were doing some moving around with the traveling instructors and cutting some of them back down to Conductors/ Engineers, I thought it was just rumors, but this appears to be more the truth.
I'm surprised they aren't offering relo to the people they already put on the street. Would save on training and time if they are needed. And they've done it before. Good to hear that they still need more folks in a few locations, maybe it's a good sign.
  by Burner

Before they really got heavy into furloughs, they were offering permanent transfers.

I wish they would offer some borrow outs, but that's prolly more expensive than hriing new people.
  by LYconductor

Burner wrote:Before they really got heavy into furloughs, they were offering permanent transfers.

I wish they would offer some borrow outs, but that's prolly more expensive than hriing new people.

I'll second that. I would love to see a bulliten posted for borrow out, and collect some of that money.