• Abandoned ROW - East Bethany, N.Y.

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by judgesmails

This is probably a long-shot, but does anyone have photos of trains in action through East Bethany, N.Y.? I believe that this was previously the DL&W Groveland Branch. I'd be most grateful for photos around the area of the Francis Rd. overpass (now filled in). Any era photo would be most appreciated. My kids & I go fossil-hunting through this area, and although I have dim memories of the rails being in place the kids have obviously not seen anything pre-abandonment. Many thanks!!

Trey
  by KenK

Didn't the DL&W mainline go through E. Bethany before it turned south?
  by scottychaos

This line through East Bethany was originally the DL&W mainline, opened for business in 1882 and in use as the DL&W mainline until 1960.

After the EL merger in 1960 it became the EL "Groveland branch", remaining intact between North Alexander east to Groveland, and used to interchange with the Genesee & Wyoming at Greigsville and the Dansville & Mount Morris at Groveland.

The DL&W mainline from North Alexander west to Depew was abandoned and ripped up by EL shortly after the merger in 1960.

The Groveland branch remained in use into the Conrail era, being used by Conrail and by the D&H (via its trackage rights over Conrail's southern tier main) to interchange with the G&W at Greigsville.

And the line was finally abandoned by Conrail in 1985.
tracks ripped up soon after.

Scot
  by judgesmails

Thanks very much for the added info, Scot! Your rail-removal date of 1985 fits with my memory of seeing rails around the time of my first visit in 1982 or 1983.
  by lvrr325

Pictures of the last trains to run there appeared in publications of the time - early Railpace or late Rails Northeast would be the best bet, also Railfan & Railroad might be worth looking through.
  by Don

I snagged a cab ride in an F unit from Greigsville to E. Bethany back around 4/73 or so. Took a shot of the engineer + some out the cab window of the GV station, trackwork etc. Would have to look at slides to pinpoint the date.
Don
  by Farmer Joe

Also, NS is abandoning whats left of the Groveland Industrial in Attica, NY. It appears that the feed mill that's on that line is trucking to and from a siding in Attica. The crossing on Rt 238 in Attica is paved over. This stretch of track is what EL and Conrail used to get to the DL&W line that went thru East Bethany. Also this is the western most end of the Erie Rochester Division. Sadly, I hate to see it go, but there is no longer a use for it. Too bad the tracks are not still in to Batavia. The GVT could use an NS connection. Oh well, I can dream..........

Joe@MP397 on NS Southern Tier.
  by TB Diamond

[quote="scottychaos"]

The DL&W mainline from North Alexander west to Depew was abandoned and ripped up by EL shortly after the merger in 1960.

Scot:

The former DL&W MT Ray-East Lancaster, 17 miles, was abandoned by the E-L in 1963.

Per FRA files