• Phase 4b Paint?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Acela82

Hi.

I have seen some images of Amtrak Cars with an unknown Paintscheme. Some Amfleet Cars had the Phase 4 Stripes, but at the Bottom of the shell a small red stripe (like on the Wave Paint AMD-103) and the new Amtrak Wave logo on the sides. I also saw a Superliner with this paint scheme. Can you tell me more about it?

Thanks, Michael
  by Gilbert B Norman

You got it, Herr Acela.

The railfan community has christened the latest Amtrak paint scheme Phase 4b. It was first introduced on shopped Amfleets because it represents a "retro" to the previous Phase 4 and away from the "lava lamps" that the past Administration found so inviting.

That scheme has also been applied to Superliners being returned to service from wrecks some of which occurred five years ago.

by queenlnr8

Also, isn't that red stripe made of reflective tape? I believe it is to make the cars easier to see at night at grade crossings.

by hsr_fan

Yes, the red stripe is reflective tape. I notice that as Amtrak replaces or repaints nose shrouds on the Acela Express trains, it doesn't always put on the red tape. Oh well, at least they finally have roof shrouds again...

by johndoty

...And thank God for the replacement of the roof shrouds. The Acelas are (in my opinion) absolutely hideous without them.

by Xplorer2000

The "Phase-IVb" blue is a different shade than the original Phase IV blue, duller in tone, similar to the blue on the Acelas and rebuilt AEM 7s. The "wave" logo has also turned up on some of the AEM-7 " remans" as well, which improves their look slightly, too.
  by John_Perkowski

The decals I saw on the CZ last month were in sad need of replacement. Lots of international orange primer showing through where the decal had bubbled and then opened up.

A car service employee told me the current markings had been done on contract. The next set were going to be done in-house at Beech Grove. He claimed the quality would be far better.

FWIW.

by queenlnr8

Are the decals nothing more than die cut labels?

by mlrr

You know, phase V paint also had somewhat of a reflective quality as well, at least I've noticed this on the Coachclass Capstones. It's a pretty clever move. The red stripe adds to the paint design while incorporating safety...............

by RMadisonWI

mlrr wrote:You know, phase V paint also had somewhat of a reflective quality as well, at least I've noticed this on the Coachclass Capstones. It's a pretty clever move. The red stripe adds to the paint design while incorporating safety...............
I noticed a few photos of some old Phase IV (i.e. not IVb) Amfleet cars with the red stripe on the bottom as well.