• "Enhancing" TD3

• General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...
General discussion of computer gaming and railroad simulations. Topics include MS Train Simulator (MSTS), Auran Trainz, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Dispatcher and more...

Moderators: LIRRMEDFORD, 8th Notch

by 2nd trick op

For anyone among us who enjoys Railsoft's Train Dispatcher 3, I'm attempting to set up a companion program, a "dispatcher's algorithm", simulating the thinking of the dispatcher operating a CTC machine -- sort of an "automatic pilot" for TD3.

I attempted to write a similar, but not linked, program (in BASIC) some years ago, and had little trouble depicting the movement of trains between "control points" as long as those interlocking plants weren't too complex or the density of trains too great. When the program encountered a situation it hadn't previously dealt with, it simply locked up, and could be manually redirected from the keyboard. Then, the relevant code could be added.

But the new version will be written in C++, a much-more complex, but versatile language, which should also permit direct interaction between the two applications via TD3's text-file interfaace.

I'd appreciate input from anyone among the membership who'd be interested in this project -- thanks.
  by 2nd trick op

As an update, I've given up on the more complex, "object-oriented" C++, and am now attempting to write an "external control" program using JustBASIC. I've posted a couple of questions at the "official" website, and the ultra-techies have shown a suprising amount of interest.

So if anyone at this site has previously had any interest in this idea, the link is posted below.

http://justbasic.conforums.com/index.cg ... 1231802923