Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Clean Cab

MN has lowered the MAS (maximum authorized speed) within and east of CP 223 (AKA "PIKE") due to "track conditions". The speed through CP 223 had been 75 MPH, but tracks 4,2 & 1 had been lowered to 60 MPH with a long standing tempoaray speed restriction. But now all 4 tracks have been permanently lowered to 60 MPH. A check of the MN track maintainance chart shows that 5 of the 6 switches within CP 223 haven't been replaced since 1987, so maybe MN is planning to renew the switches the way they recently did within CP 229 (AKA "GREEN").

This is the second time in the past few months that a speed limit of 60 MPH has been put into efftect. The first was all 4 tracks in the Bronx on the Harlem Line. At one time those tracks were good for 80 MPH, then 75, now only 60. This is due to the crumbling concrete ties and replacement for them is still pending.
  by RearOfSignal

Is CP 229 still 60 mph? Haven't been on the New Haven in a while.

The restriction shouldn't be too bad, isn't there a another permanent restriction on the curve at Rye anyway?
  by CSX Conductor

Yes there is still a 60 through CP-229 and the curves east & west of Rye.

As for the original restriction mentioned @ CP-223, that 60mph on tracks 4,2,&1 has been there since at least September that I can re-call. However, it was only in the D.T.O.B.O. :wink: Maybe if they can't afford new switches for 223 they can just take the ones from 248, lol.
  by RearOfSignal

The 60 mph at CP-223 is not in the DTOBO since Sunday the furthest back I have, anyway those are only temporary restrictions; if it was permanent it would be in a B.O. which I don't keep for the New Haven. Looking back in the paperwork did notice track 1 was OOS for a while between 229-232? What was this for?
  by Clean Cab

CP 229 is back to 70 MPH as of Bulletin Order # 4-217 effective 0400 hours Friday November 28, 2008. The speed restriction within CP 223 was on Bulletin Order # 4-221 effective 1000 hours friday december 19, 2008.
  by Otto Vondrak

Can they transfer local control of 223 to my house? I can take care of everything from here... Or better yet, can I move into the old PIKE tower? :-D
  by MNRR_RTC

Otto Vondrak wrote:Can they transfer local control of 223 to my house? I can take care of everything from here... Or better yet, can I move into the old PIKE tower? :-D
Ahhhh, no. I can just imagine all the trains you would hold to get their picture... :-D
  by Clean Cab

I know this is off topic, but...........

Sadly, PIKE and GREEN towers will soon be demolished. MN wants to eliminate costs and they have to pay taxes for unused switch towers. GREEN has been totally abandoned an PIKE is used to house the maintainers. But from what I hear PIKE will be knocked down and replaced with a trailer.

Now back to our regular programming!!!
  by Otto Vondrak

capecodlocoguy wrote:Sadly, PIKE and GREEN towers will soon be demolished. MN wants to eliminate costs and they have to pay taxes for unused switch towers. GREEN has been totally abandoned an PIKE is used to house the maintainers. But from what I hear PIKE will be knocked down and replaced with a trailer.
GREEN looks to be in rough shape (looks like someone got to the windows recently), but a shame about PIKE. Is there a timetable for destruction, or will we just find them gone one day?
  by mntktagt

Metro-North pays real estate taxes ??????????????????????/
  by DutchRailnut

MN and CDOT do not pay property or real estate taxes.
Also the windows at green have been smashed for at least 5 years with pigeons living in former tower.
  by Tommy Meehan

capecodlocoguy wrote:The first was all 4 tracks in the Bronx on the Harlem Line. At one time those tracks were good for 80 MPH, then 75, now only 60. This is due to the crumbling concrete ties and replacement for them is still pending.
That's very depressing news. I thought the concrete tie issue had largely been resolved. I can remember the summer when they began installing concrete ties on 1 and 4 on the Harlem Line. Back around 1990.

That's such a busy section of track, wonder what the running time increase is from say Woodlawn to MO? Maybe not reflected in the timetable but I'll bet the RTCs see the difference.