• No baseball specials for playoffs - why?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Ron Newman

from the T web site:

-------------------
Commuter Rail Customers attending the Friday night ALCS game at Fenway Park are reminded of the following:

# The last train to Worcester departs Yawkey at 10:13 PM
# The last train to Framingham departs Yawkey at 11:33 PM

Please plan accordingly as we are unable to provide extra service.
-------------------

I don't understand why the T doesn't hold that last train at Yawkey until the game ends, and then extend it to Worcester. They're adding a whole bunch of extra trains to Salem on Halloween weekend for no event at all, but they can't accommodate a Red Sox playoff game?

by apodino

Simple, they don't control the tracks on that line, CSX does, and CSX is not about to sacrifice their own service to help the T. Years ago, they wouldn't even let the T run late first night service on this line.

by Ron Newman

Doesn't the T own it from Framingham to Riverside, and the Turnpike Authority own it the rest of the way into South Station?

etc

by Noel Weaver

Don't EVER expect cooperation from CSX, then you will not be disappointed.
Noel Weaver

by SnoozerZ49

There are a large number of people who ride the 10:05 Worcester local from both Back Bay and South Station. The train is often held at Yawkey Station well past its 10:13 scheduled departure until 10:30 to accomodate fans. That delay alone is unfair to people who are trying to get home from work or get to work. In addition the train must encounter numerous speed restrictions on CSX due to the track work currently underway. Finally the train turns and returns to Boston. Even with a fifteen minute delay the return trip does not arrive back in Boston until it is to late to catch the last subway trains at Back Bay or South Station.

There is a lot of traffic on the CSX line during these hours with numerous "Q" trains handling intermodal traffic. Keeping all these trains moving keeps the CSX dispatcher at Selkirk quite busy.

I agree that an "Extra" would be great for the baseball fans but the MBCR would be faced with having to saddle the costs associated with returning an empty train back to Boston as there is no extra space in the Worcester facility to store another train.

I work the 10:13 train out of Yawkey most nights and as much as I want to see the Sox win, I also can't wait for the season to end so I don't have to deal with a many drunk and disorderly passengers.

by Ron Newman

I was suggesting holding the 11:33 train (if necessary), not the 10:13, since this game has an 8:00 starting time

by SnoozerZ49

whatever,
The same issues apply.

by CSX Conductor

Ron, the Turnpike owns the land between Riverside and Cove Interlocking (just east of Back Bay) and leases it to CSXT.

CSXT owns from Riverside west.

Rumors are going around that CSXT wants to sell-off everything east of Worcester, and the MBTA is the most likely candidate to buy the main-line between Worcester and Boston.

Also, the Salem extras are not for "no event at all".......it's for the anticipated increase in ridership for the annual "Haunted Happenings" in Salem. (aka The Witch City) :wink:

by efin98

CSX Conductor wrote:Also, the Salem extras are not for "no event at all".......it's for the anticipated increase in ridership for the annual "Haunted Happenings" in Salem. (aka The Witch City) :wink:
Same is true for holliday extras throughout the year. The hollidays are annual and the T has actual data to support the extras. The same can't be said for the Sox nor the Sox specials.