• Amtrak train kills person on tracks west of Mansfield

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by acela 2036

A southbound Amtrak Acela Express train struck and killed someone on the tracks this afternoon west of the town of Mansfield, a railroad spokesman said.

The accident happened at about 3:40 p.m.between Route 128 and the Providence station. Investigators are just arriving at the scene, said spokesman Cliff Cole.

Cole said there were no injuries to the 264 passengers on the train or the crew members. All Amtrak traffic will be stopped in each direction, while the investigation takes place.

The MBTA said it was moving shuttle buses into position, but it was possible commuter trains might be able to use one of the tracks running through the area.

Cole said the victim was a trespasser on the tracks. The Acela Express 2171 was heading from Boston to New York and then to Washington.
  by acela 2036

hi55us wrote:Too bad, but it really takes pure stupidity to go on the tracks in acela territory, almost certain death.
Mansfield is 150 MPH territory too!
  by Agent at Clicquot

I was at Mansfield for a few hours tonite, after learning of the accident on another list. While I was there, several Acela Express and Regional trains went east on Track 2. One regional went west on Track 1. With the exception of one Regional and one Express, the others passed the station at near normal speed. The last Express I saw, and eastbound, passed at Track Speed.

Anyone know where No. 2171 stopped after the accident? News video showed a switch in the foreground ... looks to be the lead to some freight warehouses near the NEC's 495 overgrade bridge.

Having 100~135 mph trains run through an MBTA station at Normal Speed seems reckless. The sad truth is, paying the occasional lawsuit is cheaper than installing and maintaining an adequate automated partition.

My thoughts are with 2171's crew tonight. I hope they can find peace in the aftermath.

* JB *
  by george matthews

The fence is a physical barrier
Near Old Saybrook I have noticed a very good fence that it would be difficult to cross.
  by ThinkNarrow

I think that a major part of the problem is that people assume that crossing the tracks is akin to jaywalking, something that they've done many times. Jaywalkers are usually dealing with cars whose speed (25 mph?) can be easily estimated and whose drivers can slow down and swerve if need be. Neither of these attributes apply to high speed trains. By the time you see or hear such a train, it's too late!
  by BmSmall14

Ya, but the good thing for them was, they were on there way home to NY, if it was earlier in the day, a Boston crew would have a struessfull day
Does not matter if the crew was going on its way home or not. No one wants to start or end their day on a traumatic incident. To suggest that a NY crew wouldn't be stressed by this is not right. I hope 2171's crew are doing okay.
  by MudLake

acela 2036 wrote:
Agent at Clicquot wrote:on at Normal Speed seems reckless. The sad truth is, paying the occasional lawsuit is cheaper than installing and maintaining an adequate automated partition.

My thoughts are with 2171's crew tonight. I hope they can find peace in the aftermath.
* JB *
Ya, but the good thing for them was, they were on there way home to NY, if it was earlier in the day, a Boston crew would have a struessfull day
How about the family of the person who actually died? They are the ones with the loss.
  by Acela Express

Thanks to everyone who is showing concern for the crew. We are all doing okay. We never get up and start our day wishing for something like this to happen whether it's a Boston, New Haven or New york crew or any train crew period. It's never a good thing to hear your train go into emergency at speed, especially @ 150 M.P.H. We were doing top speed when we took this person's life. Mansfield is @ M.P. 204 we didnt come to a complete stop until M.P. 202. Two miles away. This young person didn't get hit by accident. she waited until the time was right and darted out towards the track. Even though this person caused all types of problems for my crew, the people aboard the train and the commuters between Boston and Providence i still say god bless her soul. We all got to go home that night to our families while somebody else got bad news. Also i hope all the young people who were on the platform are able to deal with what they saw. There were alot of young high school and college kids that witness what happen. it's hard for some guys out here who are professionals to deal with it, so i know these young kids are horrified by that scene.
  by 3rdrail

Acela Express wrote:Thanks to everyone who is showing concern for the crew. We are all doing okay. We never get up and start our day wishing for something like this to happen whether it's a Boston, New Haven or New york crew or any train crew period. It's never a good thing to hear your train go into emergency at speed, especially @ 150 M.P.H. We were doing top speed when we took this person's life. Mansfield is @ M.P. 204 we didnt come to a complete stop until M.P. 202. Two miles away. This young person didn't get hit by accident. she waited until the time was right and darted out towards the track. Even though this person caused all types of problems for my crew, the people aboard the train and the commuters between Boston and Providence i still say god bless her soul. We all got to go home that night to our families while somebody else got bad news. Also i hope all the young people who were on the platform are able to deal with what they saw. There were alot of young high school and college kids that witness what happen. it's hard for some guys out here who are professionals to deal with it, so i know these young kids are horrified by that scene.
A E - I'm glad that you are all doing ok, and it is testament to your character and common sense that by the tone of your posting it is obvious that you realize that this was unavoidable. You and your crew were just at the right place at the wrong time. God bless everyone including yourself. :-)
  by hi55us

Acela Express wrote:Thanks to everyone who is showing concern for the crew. We are all doing okay. We never get up and start our day wishing for something like this to happen whether it's a Boston, New Haven or New york crew or any train crew period. It's never a good thing to hear your train go into emergency at speed, especially @ 150 M.P.H. We were doing top speed when we took this person's life. Mansfield is @ M.P. 204 we didnt come to a complete stop until M.P. 202. Two miles away. This young person didn't get hit by accident. she waited until the time was right and darted out towards the track. Even though this person caused all types of problems for my crew, the people aboard the train and the commuters between Boston and Providence i still say god bless her soul. We all got to go home that night to our families while somebody else got bad news. Also i hope all the young people who were on the platform are able to deal with what they saw. There were alot of young high school and college kids that witness what happen. it's hard for some guys out here who are professionals to deal with it, so i know these young kids are horrified by that scene.
did this happen right in the Mansfield station?(with people watching on the platform!?!?). Maybe Amtrak could invest in a simple alarm system at stations like Mansfield to alert the train if someone is trying to commit suicide or if their is wire down or if their is a problem with the track.
  by AEM7AC920

hi55us wrote:
did this happen right in the Mansfield station?(with people watching on the platform!?!?). Maybe Amtrak could invest in a simple alarm system at stations like Mansfield to alert the train if someone is trying to commit suicide or if their is wire down or if their is a problem with the track.
Let's be reasonable here there is no way to alert a train if someone is going to commit suicide if they just jump on the tracks at the last second nor will there ever be unless there is technology that reads people minds. This appears to not have been and accident so no alarm or anything would of prevented this. If this was an accident then you could bring into question a better way to warn people that a train is coming. Most of the platforms on the Corridor have the audible train approach alarm along with plenty of signs etc etc. There is no way to prevent suicides unless there is a physical barrier keeping people of the tracks. I mean it's not like she was siting there waiting for the train to come or i'm sure someone would of either called 911 or try to grab her off the tracks.
  by Met113

My prayers go out to the train's crew, passengers, witnesses and the victims family. This is a tragic accident I'm sure they won't forget soon.

The only one who did anything wrong was the victim who got hit by the train. Its one thing to cross a rural freight line and its another thing to cross the NEC. Anyone who crosses the NEC after jumping a fence has a death wish. Theres nothing else reasonable that Amtrak can do to prevent accidents like this from happening again. If people jump the fence then they can pay the consequences.