• This Train is Actually Green

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by Gilbert B Norman

...or so proclaims the headline presently displayed at the NS website showing a photo of quite ubiquitous Black NS D9-40CW #9723.
If NS management desires (and I as an NS shareholder) wish to proclaim "how Green we are" in an age when Green is "in", might it be time to resurrect the SRY"Apple Green' livery last used on passenger motive power during the Claytor era?

Thoughts anyone?
  by Tadman

After the NS-Conrail takeover, I got to see the GP59 in heritage paint cruise past my office every few months. It looks great and I think going back to green is a great idea. That said, it's about $25k to do a good paintjob on a locomotive per a Trains Mag article a few years back. I can imagine all scheduled repaints and new locomotives becoming green, but I don't see a fleet repaint any time in the future.
  by Gadfly

In the photo of the Georgia Southern E8's, can you spot the safety issue (dangerous!!!)?
I am a bit surprised at the dirty condition of those engines, tho. Normally Southern was much more meticulous about keeping them clean.

Gadfly
[hired on Southern Railway System in '78 and worked at Charlotte (NC) Yard, Hayne (Spartanburg, SC), Chamblee, (GA) and Kannapolis (NC) ] and deadheaded on those SR Green engines lots of times!]