• POSITION LIGHT SIGNALS

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by Zeke

I find this posistion light thing most interesting. Does anyone know Why the Valley went with them ? I dont think the Pennsy had full control over them in the late 20's early 30's when they seem to first appear. I really was surprised to seem them in the Greenburgh - Fisher book and the great extent they were used. It seems the entire railroad east of Bound Brook was posistion light territory at one time. I read an old ICC accident report ( IIRC it occured in the late 30's early 40's) where an LV doodlebug hit the rear of a standing freight at Picton/Aldene. The report prelim stated it was approach lit posistion light territory. I've seen pictures of NK interlocking from that era it appears to be posistion light as does the old interlocking in the middle of Oak Island yard. Old PRR hoggers told me back in the mid 30's they were asked by management would they prefer semaphores or posistion light on the New York division. They chose the amber posistion lights because of the belief they were more visible at night in fog or inclement weather. Maybe the LV liked the safety aspect of them and tried them out ? Or was the Pennsy influence the deciding factor ? Has any one seem them west of Caty ?
  by CAR_FLOATER

Hi Zeke....

The PRR did indeed have influnce over the LV back then.....Starting in or about 1930-32, the LV adopted the PRR-style of Employee Timetables, and thus operating proceedures, to a point, and it only got "worse" as the years went on. As for exactly WHY they chose them, I don't know, but I can ask my friend and former signal maintainer Fred wilczewski if he knows. And west of Catty? Well, I'm sure Keith B knows, but I still haven't heard back from him.

Long live the Valley,

Car Floater