• Largest steam locomotives in Maine.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by scottychaos

Can anyone tell me what was the largest class of Steam engines to ever operate in Maine?
I believe there were some modern 4-8-4's..
did any Maine railroad ever run any articulated engines?

thanks!
Scot
  by mwhite

Maine Central stabled 4 ex-B&M 2-6-6-2's. They were numbered 1201 through 1204. Biggest in terms of tractive force would probably be locos 651-658 which produced 84500 lbs with booster.
  by TomNelligan

The Maine Central had four 2-6-6-2 articulateds that it bought from the B&M in 1911 and 1912 and used on the Mountain Sub.

CN 4-8-4s showed up on the Grand Trunk, although they were relatively light as 4-8-4s go. The B&M's 4-8-2s that ran into Rigby were bigger engines at 788,800 pounds including tender, versus 678,000 or less for the CN "Confederations" as they were originally known.
  by scottychaos

very cool!
thanks..

I found one pic so far:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... &start=990
(photo near the bottom)

Im curious what was the biggest loco in Maine because im going to start an On2 scale layout soon..
modeling very small trains! the Maine 2-footers..

but im also going to have a "display track" of standard gauge..and im trying to decide what I want to have for the standard gauge train..I could have the biggest and smallest locos in Maine right next to each other.

(yes I know a MEC 2-6-6-2 probably wouldnt have been found in Wiscasset or Farmington..but still...could be interesting! :P )

thanks,
Scot
  by bubbytrains

scottychaos wrote:Can anyone recommend any books (or past magazine articles perhaps) that feature photos of the MEC 2-6-6-2's?
I have found surprizingly little about them!
only that one photo.

thanks!
Scot
The best source of info and photos I've found is the famous "Maine Central RR--Mountain Division" book, published years ago by the 470 RR Club, written by Ron Johnson. Hard to find one for sale, or at least at an affordable price, but I've found that some Maine libraries (definitely the Maine State Library in Augusta) have a copy to check out. There are two photos (and some technical specifications) in E.B. Robertson's "Maine Central Steam Locomotives", and a single photo (same as one of the ones in Robertson's book) in "The Best of Maine Railroads" by Johnson. 470 Club probably has more negs, but currently their website says they're not providing negs.
-Alan S.
Last edited by bubbytrains on Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by bubbytrains

I should add there is another photo and some info in "Minuteman Steam" by Harry Frye. The photo in that book shows one of the engines being prepared for shipment to MEC.
-Alan S.
  by CarterB

Since Maine was the 'home of the two footers' what was the largest narrow gauge steam loco in Maine?
  by eriemike

The Walker Transportation Collection has a number of photos of the 2-6-6-2's working on both the Maine Central and the Boston & Maine. You can contact them at http://www.walkertrans.org.
  by Cowford

The largest Lilliput was SR&RL 23, a 2-6-2 built in 1913, engine weight of 63,000lbs. It was the largest two-footer in N America.
  by scottychaos

Cowford wrote:The largest Lilliput was SR&RL 23, a 2-6-2 built in 1913, engine weight of 63,000lbs. It was the largest two-footer in N America.
Yep, SR&RL 23 was the largest:

Unusually large for the 2-footers..
most locos on the Maine 2-foot lines were significantly smaller..

Im working on a model of 23 in On2 scale:
http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychao ... index.html

The smallest of the 2footers were the early Hinkley forneys:

24 feet long and 9 feet high.

thanks for the info on the books!

Scot
  by CarterB

Thanks for the info on SR&RL #23. Must have been quite a sight before 1936! Too bad only one SR&RL loco has survived.