• NJT Excursion Train in Warwick NY

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by nick11a

Looking through the RR.net archives, I have always loved this shot which is reputed in being in Warwick, NY. I always thought it was on the Port Jervis Train Line. However, I have since found it that this is not the case. Looking at Mapquest, Warwick is not near any NJT line. So, how and why is this train here?

It's a really great shot. Here it is:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=14205

by Jtgshu

My guess is that its a typo and someone got their "wicks" confused....

Maybe its at Waldwick on the Main line and not Warwick???

by Zeke

IIRC this picture in Railpace many moons ago it's on the Susie Q or the old L&HR if you prefer, at Bairds. It might have been some fantrip or deadhead move though I think it was a fan trip. Definetly not NJT property.

by kilroy

That is Baird's Farm on the NYS&W as noted above. It is a favorite location for photo runbys on excursions. I don't recall the trip this shot is from but it must be an excursion of somekind. Most likely NRHS or URHS.
  by Butlershops

I rode that trip. IT was a URHS excursion to Bairds Farm, sometime around 1993. The NJT engineer decided to be difficult and refused to let the NYSW crew operate the train over the NYSW. He ran restricted speed all the way up and down the line, even on the 40 MPH L&HRsection.

by Lackawanna484

Bairds Farm Road is a classic location for L&HR and NYSW footage.

In an early Railfan & Railroad issue, Bob Mohowski and Jim Boyd assisted O. Winston Link in a night shot of one of the last Lehigh & Hudson runs before Conrail at that precise location.

If anyone wants to visit the site, it's a left off Highway 94 nb, about a half mile north of the NJ/NY border. The road continues north and comes out by Jones Chemical (the old L&HR office building) and the Burger King in downtown Warwick.

If you're chasing a sb, you're penned in until the whole train passes. If you're really lucky, the train will stop until the engineer gets his OK to enter the NYSW at Pelton, a hundred yards south.

by trainfreak

That is a great shot of the passenger train there. If only the NYSW was still able to have excursions up to that point...

by Ken W2KB

Because of the insurance issues? There is no other reason trains can't run to Bairds. Next weekend a NARCOA speeder run is scheduled to go there, trackwork status permitting.

by njtmnrrbuff

I remember seeing that shot in the past. Anyway, the closest transit train to Warwick is actually on the Port Jervis Line. Either Harriman or Tuxedo.

by Irish Chieftain

That closest train is about 18 miles east, either station. Gotta take route 17A from Warwick to the route 17 corridor. By the time you've done all that, a number of NJT route 197 buses would have left bound for PABT of course...
  by njt4172

nick11a wrote:Looking through the RR.net archives, I have always loved this shot which is reputed in being in Warwick, NY. I always thought it was on the Port Jervis Train Line. However, I have since found it that this is not the case. Looking at Mapquest, Warwick is not near any NJT line. So, how and why is this train here?

It's a really great shot. Here it is:

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=14205
Nick,

The guy who took that picture is Mr. Danny Benz. He use to be my high school computer teacher. He was a closet railfan at the time because he didn't want to let his students or the faculty know that he liked trains. I was the only "railfan" in his class that year. He is really a nice gentleman and put on some fabulous railroad related power point presentations.

Steve

by nick11a

Wow, that is really interesing. Looks like the train might be on the return part of the trip as the cab is coupled directly behind the two Geeps. It looks like it is a really great spot to photograph trains and having an NJT train there makes that a really rare shot. Thanks for all the info and solving the mystery.

I guess NYSW trains are still used on the line, heh? If I ever get the chance (say in a few years) I may go up there for some railfannin'.

And funny how that guy was your teacher Steve! I can understand being a closet railfan. I was one for a while. Then one day, I said "Aw hell..." and my friends and six siblings think of me as being even weirder since. :wink: It's a small world after all...

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:Wow, that is really interesing. Looks like the train might be on the return part of the trip as the cab is coupled directly behind the two Geeps. It looks like it is a really great spot to photograph trains and having an NJT train there makes that a really rare shot. Thanks for all the info and solving the mystery.

I guess NYSW trains are still used on the line, heh? If I ever get the chance (say in a few years) I may go up there for some railfannin'.

And funny how that guy was your teacher Steve! I can understand being a closet railfan. I was one for a while. Then one day, I said "Aw hell..." and my friends and six siblings think of me as being even weirder since. :wink: It's a small world after all...

Nick,

Yup, small world!
And yup, NYSW runs 1 train a day through that area. I think the SU-100 which is a Binghamton-Little Ferry freight runs on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. The westbound counterpart SU-99 runs Monday-Wednesday and Fridays.

Steve

by sullivan1985

nick11a wrote:Wow, that is really interesing. Looks like the train might be on the return part of the trip as the cab is coupled directly behind the two Geeps. It looks like it is a really great spot to photograph trains and having an NJT train there makes that a really rare shot. Thanks for all the info and solving the mystery.

I've never kept hidden. I always was very open about how intrested in railroads I was and despite how weird people think I am, they always thank me when we are lost and I guide them home based on railroads.

by nick11a

sullivan1985 wrote:

I've never kept hidden. I always was very open about how intrested in railroads I was and despite how weird people think I am, they always thank me when we are lost and I guide them home based on railroads.
Well that day you and I were at Rutherford, there wasn't much that was hidden and people definitely knew who and what we were. Haha.

And now, I wear my goof EL RR cap so if that don't make me goofy, I don't know what will. :-D