• JERSEY CITY-BRIDGETON EXCURSION OF APRIL 2, 1955 (#774)

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by DonPevsner

Does anyone remember this long-ago event? I was 11, and vividly
recall speeding back in the dark on the former "BLUE COMET"
observation car...wicker chairs and all. The crowd at Winslow Junction
was amazing as well. My very-first fan trip!

by AndyB

Do I ever!
I was only eight. Had an uncle who took me.
May be one of the reasons that I'am into trains.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to pick up an original flyer on the trip.
Here are some of the details from the flyer.
(Centered on the flyer)
Railroad Enthusiasts, Inc.
Announces a most noteworthy
Railfan Trip
Saturday , April 2 1995
250 miles
From New York, Jersey City
to Bridgeton , NJ and return
using
CAMELBACK LOCOMOTIVE
C.N.J. No. 774 which was "starred" in the motion picture
"The Long Gray Line"
You and your friends are invited to join us for a trip
through this historic section of New Jersey

Schedule
Lv. New York, Liberty St 9:00 A.M.
Lv. Jersey City 9:15 A.M.
Lv. Elizabethport 9:30 A.M.
Lv. Red Bank 10:25 A.M.

Thence to Bridgeton via Lakewood, Lakehurst and Toms River via tracks over which no reqular passenger train servive is operated.

The trip will take about 10 hours with several stops for pictures.

Modern coaches with Baggage and Observation cars.
-------

All this for $5.50 for Adults 1/2 fare for children 5>12

I don't remember getting home. Somewhere on the return I fell asleep and was carried off.

Thank you, Don for bringing that memory back.

Andy

by TuckertonRR

I have a book called "South Jersey Rails" which on the front cover shows the locomotive going over the daimond crossing in Vineland, presumably from this trip. Very nice picture. Must've been a great trip!
  by AndyB

Just realized that I posted the date as 1995 not 1955 as it should be. :(

To make up for that goof, if any one would like a copy of the flyer, E-mail me.
Copy will be scaled down, the original is 6"x15".
AndyB

by Steam man

I have 8mm film of that trip that my Pop took. I can't hardly remember it as I was only 3 but he said I was there. I do remeber the High Iron trip on the Southern Division in 19?? . I rode the other steam trip in South jersey on the old PRSL form Camden to Cape May in 1967(?)
  by 2nd trick op

Sometime in the fall/winter 1971-72, photographer-extraordinaire Don Wood penned a rememberance of his last summer with 774, which became the feature article for one issue of TRAINS that year. Reference is also made to an excursion to Jim Thorpe on September 25. I have long considered that article one of the finest ever to appear in TRAINS, and there were a lot of good ones in those days.