• Wide Vision Cabooses

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYC-BKO

I post this again got no replies before the exit. I remember reading back in the seventies about the NYC receiveing 2 Wide Vision Cabooses to test but were rejected and sold to the Rutland who did own 2. Can anyone verify this, I want to model one, this would have been in 1959 and I think they were in the century green w/cigarband scheme. Thanks.

by clehman

I've never seen a photo of a NYC wide-vision caboose, nor have I even heard about them. If the NYC did try a couple, their stay must have been extremely shortlived. I would also like to see a photo of one if anyone has one.

by BR&P

There is a photo of 2 Rutland wide-vision cabooses on page 187 of Shaughnessy's RUTLAND book. It says they were built to D&H specs, and makes no mention of NYC involvement.

by NYC-BKO

Well, thanks for the info. Thirty years of trying to remember where I read it and I possibly misreading it maybe they were just delivering them, I don't know but I guess the boxes of info will have to be dug out someday, maybe I can find the article. Thanks again.

by nycrick

Unfortunately I don't have a picture but I do have aa N-scale NYC Wide
vision caboose. It's made by Con-Cor.
  by Dieter

Unfortunately, the Central never had Wide-Visions. Would have been neat if they had. I saw one available in "HO" a few years ago, may have even bought it and tossed it into a lost bag in the closet. It had a white stenciled Cigar Band logo on it, that I remember I didn't like. IHC makes one as a track cleaning car, I think.

Naturally, had the Central gone with a high profile thing like that, it would have had the R,W&B Cigar Band logo on it. If you model one, don't forget to paint the roof of the coupola WHITE to signify that it could roam the entire system! :D

It would be fun to do a contest here of people modeling a certain piece in Central. Take something the Central never had, and see how we would all make it appear in proper Central livery.....

Just a thought.

As long as we're on the subject, what is the height of a Wide Vision? Perhaps the reason why the Central never had them was the old "They didn't have Domes due to clearance"? If the Central had a clearance issue, you can bet they never even had two for a "Test Drive".

The Pennsylvania didn't have Wide Vision cabooses either, as far as I remember.

Dieter.

by Otto Vondrak

Even Penn Central didn't buy into the concept... nor did sucessor Conrail (they picked up a couple from the Reading, though, class N-20's under Conrail).

-otto-