• Where are the midwesterners?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by fnwjohn

Our company is the Fremont Northwestern, a Class III common carieer shortline running 10 miles Fremont-Nickerson, NE, reporting marks FNW. Before anyone asks the inevitable next question, let me state that we are NOT affiliated with the tourist line Fremont & Elkhorn Valley that runs on the same tracks. Currently, we lease the FEVR power of SW1200 #1219 on a trip-lease basis. This should change later this year. That's what I can tell everyone for now. Any other questions, contact me off-post and maybe I can fill you in.

John

by Glen Warmann

OK, My turn. Another Kenosha, Wisconsinite here!!!! Kenosha is a pretty boring town on the UP lines, But CP and CN are ok. And no, Metra does not have any facilities here except a new office building and a depot. No shops, or anything like that. Guess thats why I call this town KENOWHERE.

by Rockingham Racer

A midwesterner at heart, here. Lived in Blue Island, IL for 20 years. Right now, living near MP 20 on the UP Harlingen (TX) Sub. Three or for northbounds a day. Hardly like Chi-town!
  by Gilbert B Norman

Look to the left and there is my legal name and location.

Although raised in the New York area, I went to school out here (Univ of Ill/Urbana) and on graduation, stayed on. That was 35 years ago.

Fortunately, we have a public sidewalk extending from Prospect Street (MP18.34) Eastward along Burlington Avenue for a half mile to West Hinsdale (17.83) where the station is next to Route 83. Although our Village's Politburo (whoops, Trustees; come on comrades, anyone familiar with the structure of an Illinois municipal corporation known as a Village knoweth of what I speaketh) has often thought that some trees are just what are needed to beautify Burlington Avenue, I tend to disagree; that unobstructed view from public property of 145 train movements weekdays is beauty enough.

by AmtrakFan

Ok I'll bite I live in Illinois but I live along the BN 3 Track Main in the about the Same Area Mr. Norman Does.

AmtrakFan

by matt

I'll represent the scores of Toledoan's who post to these forums each day, mostly of course on the Buckeye Board. I live closest (and visit daily) to CP292 on the NS Water Level Route.

Our city was at one time a top 5 rail center in the country and the evidence of this still exists today. We got CN (GTW), NS, CSX, Ann Arbor, lotsa BNSF, UP, W&LE, Amtrak.. you name it...it's here.

Plus Fostoria is close...can't beat that!

See you soon Glen in Kenosha.

by Bond007

Checking in from Sioux Falls. Just moved in from the Twin Cities (lived in Minneapolis, worked in Wayzata...I know, backwards). Used to be able to watch the BNSF through Wayzata from my desk at work and see the CP hauling triple auto racks north from near our house; now I can walk to the overpass over lunch and check out the yard featuring BNSF, D&I and Nobles Rock.

I'm looking for history on the railroads that have graced Minnesota and South Dakota. If anybody knows good books or websites, I would appreciate the heads-up. I am planning a proto-freelanced layout somewhat similiar to the DM&E. I may just proto the DM&E, but I plan on taking some artistic license so I thought it might be fun to come up with my own history and paint schemes.

Glad to see some midwesterners around here!
  by UPMW2000

I'm in Illinois (transplanted Californian 10+ years) I live in the small town of Walnut, the BN used to run through here, wish they still did as their line cut diagonally across my property about 1000 feet from my house ( I own about 1/4 mile of their former roadbed ) I work for UP in the MoW dept. and currently hold the Foreman position at Clinton IA, but having grown up in California, I'm a very loyal fan(atic!) of the former Southern Pacific

BTW...someone mentioned Milw. "bandits" in an earlier post ,one came into Clinton a couple days ago, was I believe an SD9, had a chop nose and "ox-yoke" filter, still in Milw. paint but with black patches lettered SOO, I forget the number (I'll post it when I get the film developed) very ragged looking, also another one showed up today same kind of unit, but much better condition, in CP red with the canadien/US flag on the side (got a shot of this one too!) the one in Milw. paint was sitting the "time freight" yard awaiting interchange with IC&E, O.K. I'll shutup now!...................Scott

by nutbuster4513

Greetings from Tuscola, Illinois, former home of the world famous TY tower. Junction of the CN/IC, UP, and the CSX.
  by 2nd trick op

I may live in Northeastern Pennsylvania, but I grew up listening to WCFL, WLS, and CKLW, my ball team played at The Corner - Michigan and Trumbull, and nobody was more pleased than I when my alma mater Penn State was admitted to the Big Ten.

Some people say the Midwest begins at Pittsburgh; In my book, Allentown is closer to the truth.

And oh yes, I lived in Omaha for a year, drove by the FNW at Hooper every morning, on a courier run to Norfolk. Now if we could just get the Huskers into the Big Ten...... :wink: