• Equipment Assignments

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by RC '75

Does NJ Transit assign equipment to specific lines? Something like what is done on the NYC Subway system.
  by nick11a

RC '75 wrote:Does NJ Transit assign equipment to specific lines? Something like what is done on the NYC Subway system.
Sometimes, yes.

For example, the ACL right now only consists of Comet IIIs and IVs. They also seem to only send the 4200 Geeps to the ACL as far as I have seen.

The 4100 Geeps are only used on the Hoboken Division (a few rare exceptions do occur- Pony Express for example or a mistake.)

For the Bay Head shuttle train, they'll only use the 4200 Geeps or the GP40FH-2s.

The Arrows are assigned to the M&E and Montclair (under 25,000 volts) as well on the NEC (under 12,000 volts). They Arrows once in a while may be used on South Amboy or Matawan/Aberdeen locals but can't be used any further than Matawan/Aberdeen because of the change to 25,000 volts (the arrows can't change voltages on the fly.)

by Jtgshu

There are several different factors in play on NJT with equipment - one is obvious, if the power is goign to be electric or diesel, another is where the train is going to, and yet another is how many cars are needed at the level of maximum ridership per day.

Like Nick said, some equipment sort of stays where it is, the 4100's are confined mainly to the Hoboken division, along with the C1's. Everythign else is a pretty much a hodgepodge. Also, there are "newark division and Hoboken division" MU's because they have to be set for the different voltages at the shop

There are equipment needs placed out on a piece of paper, with how many cars and the type of cars (MU's or push pulls for example) and the incoming train that the outgoing train willl turn from (i.e. 3862 for 3275 - 8 push pulls). But the electric ALP powered equipment giong into and out of NYP, often travel between all the lines serving NYP, Coast Line, NEC, adn Midtown trains
  by RC '75

Besides the Arrow I's now the Comet IB's, is there any other equipment used as coaches only?

When locomotives are used in NYP, are they electric only? Or are these locomotives dual-mode?

by Jtgshu

All of NJT's "comets" the 1,2,3,4 and 5 series, are all strictly coaches and locomotive hauled. Only Arrow 3 cars are MU's, and self propelled, not requiring a locomotive.

NJT has no dual mode locos. Any NJT trains that go into NY MUST be electric powered, either MU's (arrows) or powered by an ALP 44 or 46. Diesels cannot operate in Revenue service through the North River tunnels or in the station.
  by princess

nick11a wrote:The Arrows are assigned to the M&E and Montclair (under 25,000 volts) as well on the NEC (under 12,000 volts). They Arrows once in a while may be used on South Amboy or Matawan/Aberdeen locals but can't be used any further than Matawan/Aberdeen because of the change to 25,000 volts (the arrows can't change voltages on the fly.)
Nick,

Is this true? From Laurel to Long Branch is 25KV? When did this happen? As I remember it, there was 12KV from South Amboy to the end of the wire at Bath Interlocking. In fact, I can remember 11 car MU sets coming out of the south side of Long Branch yard. Could someone please tell me when they changed the voltage?

by Jtgshu

Last August and Sept is when NJT decided to change teh voltage west of the Aberdeen Phase Gap to the end of wire west of Bath to 25k for whatever reason.

I wish i understood why they did, why limit yourself even more equipmentwise? No longer will MU's run west of Matawan, unfortuantely......

by nick11a

Jtgshu wrote:Last August and Sept is when NJT decided to change teh voltage west of the Aberdeen Phase Gap to the end of wire west of Bath to 25k for whatever reason.

I wish i understood why they did, why limit yourself even more equipmentwise? No longer will MU's run west of Matawan, unfortuantely......
Yep. I remember in anticapition of this, for a few weeks prior to the change, they tried to keep only push pulls on the NJCL. And sometime in August is when I believe the last MU train rode to Long Branch. I have never ridden down to Long Branch on the MUs. I grew up though in Perth Amboy though right along the train tracks and remember quite well seeing the Arrows operate behind the house and crossing the Raritan Draw Bridge. I do miss having Arrows though operating on the NJCL. Since the change, I have not witnessed an MU operate down the line but it can and occasionally does happen- but it is rare. One good effect though of the change is that all electric push pulls have the long doors and you don't have to worry about opening each individual door and raising the trap and leaving it open during rush for low platform stations. So keeping them on the NEC on the Newark is a good idea as the only low platform stations is Jersey Ave.

by princess

Thanks for the information, guys. I know there must have been a solid reason but for the life of me, I just can't figure it out. Sometimes it's just gotta make you wonder.... :-D
  by njtmnrrbuff

Being a veteran of the NJCL even though I live in Upper Montclair, I know for a fact that locomotive hauled sets especially 44s really perform well on the NJCL, in fact on the entire NWK division. In Montclair, the distance between stops pretty much is the rapid transit frame of mind. My friend was telling me that is transit can, ALL stops up to MSU should be high level. Also by using center doors, you clear quickly. It also provides much more flex. Anything less than six cars pulled by a 44 is unacceptable very short stretches between stops. That is really the job of a 46. Good thing, transit does not believe in Genesis units. It would be nice if the arrows could have make the voltage change at Swift.

by Irish Chieftain

It would be nice if the arrows could have make the voltage change at Swift
What would be nicer is if Washington gave Amtrak the money to convert the entire NEC to 25kV 60Hz like they were supposed to get over twenty years ago...then it would be a moot point and the Arrows wouldn't require a rebuild to accommodate on-the-fly voltage changes.