• Where to go in Albany, NY?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Benjamin Maggi

Just moved to Albany and looking for a great spot to railfan. Thought the Amtrak station would be good but it isn't as you cannot park there long before you have to pay AND there isn't any freight activity around. Don't want to drive to NYC, so can anyone suggest a good PUBLIC place to watch a lot of railroading? Thanks. Ben

by CSX Conductor

You have to admit the new station came out nice though! :-)

From the Albany area take rte. 9W east through Glenmont Center (new Super Walmart on right hand side) and about 2 or 3 miles further you will past the Jericho Drive-In (also on right) another 1/2 mile or so the road goes down a good hill and at the bottom of the hill there is a blinking yellow light. Turn right at this light and follow it about a mile or a mile &1/2. When you see the Albany County Municipal airport on your left, turn left (Not sure the exact street name, but I think it is part of Schoolhouse Road.). Follow this street and it will take you right over the middle of CSXT's Selkirk Yard. At the other end of the bridge many railfans park on the shoulder of the road to get a view of the yard from the edge of the bridge. (there is no room for pedestrians on the bridge......and everywhere else would be CSXT property.) Don't go in the yard because you would be trespassing and could get in some trouble.

Another spot would be on the Mohawk Line in Amsterdam, Ny. (about 25 to 30 miles west of downtown Albany). Take I-90 west to Amsterdam exit, through toll plaza, turn right and follow signs for the Amtrak Station. Many railfans go to Guy Park which is about a 1/2 mile east of the train station, but I thought that the train station appeared to be better for photography because it was a bit roomier.

by CSX Conductor

Voohreesville is another hot-spot just west of Selkirk.

Check the NY state railfan forum for more help.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=128

by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks for all your help! I was hoping to see main-line more than a Yard, but have been to Selkirk before and it IS impressive indeed. In fact, I drove into the yard itself many years ago and, not knowing any better, walked into the yard office to ask permission to take pictures. They were very kind to me and said yes, but I couldn't wander about! Oh, how things have changed!

by CP169

One of my favorites is Rt 5 west at the Shenectady-Montgomery county line in the hamlet of Hoffmanns. You can park and go between the lanes for a nice overlook of the main line with the Mohawk river in the background. It's also where the single track Amtrak and double track CSX lines converge going west. Milepost 169.

by CSX Conductor

So it's safe to say this spot is where your screen-name was derived from? lol :-)
  by njtmnrrbuff

It all depends whether you are into passenger, freight, or both. For passenger, the Amtrak station in Rennselaer is a great place to photograph. There are many public areas to view including the little road bridge(good views of southbounds, for northbounds, the station going over the tracks can block your view. I'm sure, you will not have a problem in the station. In fact, there are opporitunities for northbounds from the station bridge. You are NOT allowed to the platforms unless you have a ticket. You can get shots of the yard from the main road bridge north of the entire station. However, there is a pretty big fence.

by Engineer Spike

I agree that Amsterdam is good. You get both the trains off of the Selkirk Branch and the mainline passenger jobs. The bonus is that B&M Rotterdam Jct., is just across the river by Hoffman's.
The D&H is close by. Mohawk yard is just north of Schenectady. Both B&M and D&H use it.
Rte. 30 will take you from Amsterdam to near Delanson. There is a siding here where many meets are made.

by njtmnrrbuff

There are plenty of places in the Albany area. Amsterdam, I know is a good place, even though not too many Amtrak trains stop there. Schenectady,watch out, the neighborhood looks eerie. Even though I havent been there, we have family friends that live around here. Even in Albany, walk across the Hudson river bridge that goes into Renns from downtown, you could get views of Amtrak crossing LAB. There are plenty of passenger choices south of Albany along the river too. Check out the Railpace November 2000 issue.

by brward

Fuller Station Road Trestles
Mechanicville - XO TOWER
Eagle Bridge
A.H.Smith Bridge
Voorheesville
Rotterdam Jct.

by njtmnrrbuff

Selkirk is one nice place. The problem is finding a place where to park. That narrow bridge is nice. Pulling over can be a hassle. I was there when I visited by mom's from via Amtrak. Schenectady is not where you want to be.
  by Noel Weaver

In my opinion, one of the better spots near Selkirk is Voohreesville which
is west of Selkirk on the Selkirk Subdivision. There is a diner there called
the Voohreesville Diner which is open for breakfast and lunch and you will
do well there. Dinner on Friday evening is also a good bet but the place
gets very busy, go early (before five). They have a decent size parking
lot and you can park away from the building. Trains go through around 40
going toward Selkirk but may be much slower going west depending on
the tonnage and power.
Traffic varies but my guess is around 25 or more trains each way. Less on Sunday and Monday. Westbounds in the morning, eastbounds more in
the afternoon and both directions in the evening. There is also a place to
park out of the way a couple of blocks west near where the D & H used to
cross.
Another possibility is the Amtrak station in Amsterdam and also about half
a mile east of the station at that location is a grade crossing and park with
a canal lock to hold your interest while no trains are around. Be especially
careful around the Amsterdam area as trains whip right along through
here. The Amtrak waiting room is open during most daylight hours so
facilities are available here too.
Fonda, about ten miles further west, is also a pretty location but be aware
that there is a police substation in the area by the two grade crossings so
be careful how you act.
In all cases, stay off the tracks.
Enjoy,
Noel Weaver

by CSX Conductor

I agree with Noel about the Amsterdam station, it is a good spot for photos because it is pretty open, with the canal in the background. Guy Park, however, did not impress me much. I had always seen postings about it, so I cheked it out one day........not a bad spot to watch trains, but too many trees..........and there were a lot of stange people hanging out in the parking lot.

I remember going to Voorheesville many years ago........nice and busy, with a good view of the action.........too bad ConRail is gone though. :-(
Last edited by CSX Conductor on Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by BuckHogger

You might want to try one of these two spots. Best activity is Saturdays, most all day, and 9AM, 1PM, 2-3PM Weekdays. Site 1 is the crossing
on Waite Rd in Clifton Park. Take 146 W from Exit 9 I-87. Lots of
intermodal switching as Guilford meets CP there. Site 2 is in Alplaus
where the tracks gowing N & E out of Mohawk Yard cross the road.
Times are close to Waite Rd.
  by GP9

The best place that I have found in this area is New York State Canal Lock 10. I spent many hours watching trains go by Lock 10. From I90 get off at Rotterdam Jct and take 5s west. Along the way you will pass by another good place to stop. This is a bike trail that was built on the old tow path for the original Erie canal. From this path you can see Guilford's Bridge across Mohawk River, a small stretch of the original Erie Canal, CSX's Chicago Line on the side of the hill, and the west end of Rotterdam Jct.

From this path you continue west and cross over Guilford's Rotterdam Branch right at the east end of the yard. After going through the small village of RotterdamJct you will go under CSX's Chicago Line where it turns to cross the Mohawk River. After this you will cross then follow follow the railbed of the West Shore.

From Lock 10's two parking areas you can watch trains running along the opposite river bank. There is even a steel girder that you can sit on while you watch the trains.