• Last run on the Rockaway Loop.

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by Keith Doms

Hello, I am looking for some additional help. While researching the Rockaway Loop of the DL&W I found very little in either the Rockaway Record or the Denville Herald other than the the same photo of the last passenger to Rockaway on Oct. 17, 1948. Taber has one a photo of the the last engine with a lot of people standing around some taking photos. Does anyone know of any other surviving images? I was suprised at the fact that after 100 years of service, the local papers almost ignored the closing of the line. Then agian they are local papers and reporting has come a little further. Any help would be most appretiated.

Keith
  by henry6

The Rockaway Record and the Denville Herald were owned by the same man at that time...White or something similar...but now is when local news reportingis non existant rather than then; there is a whole world of differences between then and now in the media.

To the subject: look into the Morristown Record, the Newark Evening News as well as the Newark Star Ledger of the time.

Although the track existed for years up to Indian Lake Road I do remember my mother driving us (a car load of kids from the neighberhood) home from school on a rainy afternoon. As we approached the Indian Lake Rd crossing we were stopped and had to wait as a track crane lifted the rails out of the crossing. One of the girls cried that the were taking the train away. Before that, I was often told, that one of the older neighbor ladies was incensed that the railroad ran a train across that crossing just as school was being let out in the afternoon and often would go there to stop the train!

I did get to ride the line once or twice...remember in 1948 I became all of five years old..so most of my memories are quite dim! After the abandonment the Dover Drill would pull around the wye to turn before heading east to Morristown and Chatham and leave a car or two of coal at Young's Coal yard. Amazing today is that the roadbed and bridge abutments are still visible between the Catty Hole and The Pond from Indian Lake Rd.!

Oh, look for the book Denville Days by Gill. Do go to the Denville Library and check what they have.

God Luck.
  by Keith Doms

Dear henry 6,
Thank you for your recolections. I have seen Gill's Denville Days and toeLaer's Bridging the Years in Denville. I am pulling together a resource file on the Rockaway loop of the M&E/DL&W Rockaway line for the NJ DOT. I will check the archives for the Papers you suggested. Do you know any one who might have photos of the line or stations? I am lookig for copies of images that might be used in a possible interperative display. Full credit will be given of course. Thank you for your time and input.

Best regards,
Keith
  by henry6

I can find over the next couple of days in my "stuff" in case there is someting you might use. Otherwise, good luck!
  by henry6

Look at Tabers' DL&W 19th Cent. and DL&W 20th Cent. vols I & II for histories and pics. Also check ebay, search rockaway, nj (incl titles and descriptions) and see what happens.