• Union Pacific Conductor Van Buren Ar

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by iflyfreee

Hello

I have been " Relesed to start" with Union Pacific for train service in Van Buren, Arkansas I was advised that my continued employment is contigent upon passing a 3 week training class. I'm waiting for HR to contact me regarding the class Does anyone know what it entails how many tests, the subject matter and can i get any books on this material to get a head start on the information. secondly i have an apartment lease in another state where i currently live. once i complete the 3 weeks of training do they give me time to move to the city where i applied to or do i need to move to that city before starting the class, and thirdly what are the best shoes that fit the requirement for railroad work other than the most expensive ones Example (Red Wing, Wolverine, Lehigh) Lace up 6" high to cover ankles and 90 degree angle to sole.

Thank You
  by jescates

Hi there, congratulations, I tried getting hired on at Van Buren, but had to hire on in Texas instead. I just got done with all my training today and hopefully in a few days, will be assigned a board. Anyway, if the training there is like here, the first 3 weeks is a lot of coverage of rules. You will be given quizzes and test just about everyday. They are going to give you a study guide and it will cover all the rules. Just do the homework and read the rules and you should do fine. It's not easy, but with some self discipline and studying, then you should do okay. In those 3 weeks, you will get to go out to the yard and get some hands on. Here, once we finished the Brakeman in training course, we did 7 weeks of working in the train yards. Then you will have a 2 week Conductor in training course. It's a tough course also, but if you keep in the rule books during your BIT training, you should do okay. We just finished two hectic weeks of riding trains with an experienced conductor. Did our check ride and now waiting to be placed on a board.....hopefully we don't get cut off immediately. LOL Good luck!
  by jescates

As for moving and all, I hired on in Dalhart Texas. The training was in Dalhart, so the UP did not pay for my 3 weeks stay. That came out of my own pocket. If you were hired in another location and are doing the training in Van Buren, then they will give you money for hotel. I just took the chance that I will have a job here and moved everything here before I started training. That gave me additional incentive to pass the test, LOL. It probably was a good thing for me to move here first, because right after the 3 weeks BIT class, we went straight to work in the yards as a brakeman. Some of the guys didn't even get a day off between the BIT class and actually going to work. So be prepared to work. Several of the guys bought boots from Wal-Mart, they worked fine for the class, but when they started working in the yards, they found out right away that the cheap Wally World boots did'nt cut it and bought some good work boots. I went for Redwings right off the bat and they worked great.
  by GOLDEN-ARM

Let's slide this into the employment forum, where these kinds of questions have been asked, and answered, dozens of times already......
  by Burner

wow... so many posts in so many places...

Anyway, there is not really anything you can buy to get started early, At least nothing you're going to be able to comprehend right now. Find a copy of the GCOR online and try to read it... I dare you! Remember the paper version is 4 inches thick. The rules are full of minute details that are actually major details.
Self Discipline and dont be afraid to ask questions and you will pass just fine. STUDY STUDY STUDY. If you dont have a quiet place to study, get a motel room.

As far as lodging goes, when they call you to attend training they will ask you if you need transportation or lodging. During your initial 3 weeks you can stay in a hotel and get meals paid for if you currently reside more than 45 miles away from your training location. After your initial 3 weeks you no longer have a home. You have a home terminal. You hired out of Van Buren? Guess what... If you're training there you dont get a free ride anymore. If you're training more than 45 miles away you will get meals and lodging again.

As far as boots dont spend alot of money right off the bat. You are elligible for UP's boot program right off the bat. They pay 50% and take the other 50% out of your paycheck so no money up front. Thats kinda nice when you're broke living on $10/hr. The only stipulation is it has to be an approved boot. I went for Red Wings this year because I didnt care for the wolverines they bought me last year :D