• Unpainted C&NW units.

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

by Death Star

Are the Dash 9 units the only ones left in active service?
  by UPRR engineer

Changed the title of your post there dude. Didnt know quite what you ment, i believe alot of there motors are still being used, i get one about every month thats been painted. As far as the ones that havent been painted yet... but have been patched theres still a hand full.
  by nssd70

C44-9W 8646 and 8701 are the only unpatched CNW units left. There are still some patched units around.

Doug
  by nssd70

CNW C44-9W 8646 and 8701 are unpatched. They usually can be found in Iowa and Illinois.

Doug
  by UPRR engineer

CNW 8646 8701 C44-9W 2
Guess there are two still, skipped right over it when i looked at the roster.
  by Tadman

I don't know the status anymore, but there was a set powering coal trains that would come through Lawrence, KS, with a UP unit leading, and a trailing CNW unit (patched) with a SP unit (patched) providing DPU at the rear. Omaha didn't know it but we got our own heritage units every week out here... I haven't seen that set together for a while, although there's a few SP (patched) GE's that make it through on coal trains now and then.
  by Leo_Ames

Going around now that the two unpatched Dash 9's that have spent time stored at IRM have been donated to them.

If true, they'll be the first preserved Dash 9's.

Edit: False alarm, it sounds like.

http://railroadfan.com/phpbb/viewtopic. ... 86#p363786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry about that.