• DDA40X # 6936 spotted OTR, 7-14-08 !!!

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by ljeppson

I was in the Gateway shopping district (west side of Salt Lake City by Grants Tower) when I glanced westward and was astonished to see 6936 apparently in regular freight service. The "Centennial" Loco was the lead unit of a mutiple unit consist, backing up around the Grants Tower Wye. I couldn't see what kind of train she was pushing. Of course, I didn't have my camera. Dang it! Unfortunately I had to get back to work and was on foot, needing to make it to a bus. Otherwise I would have hot footed it across the plaza to see what was going on. Does anyone else know why 6936 would be in town?

Mods note, topic edited to clarify title...... :wink:
  by ljeppson

Well here's the scoop on 6936 yesterday (7/14/2008) in Salt Lake, according to the local NRHS chapter. It seems there were some festivities at the Portola Musuem at which the last active DDA40X, 6936 was a guest of honor. On the way back, when I saw her, she was in the lead working a regular mixed freight. If only I had had my camera. Always have it with you!