• Any notable scenery on Raritan Valley or M&E lines?

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by Matt Johnson

I was wondering if it's worth taking a ride on some of the NJ Transit rail system that I haven't seen yet. Is the line to High Bridge scenic? Anything comparable to the Port Jervis Line's Moodna Viaduct? Also, how about the line out to Hackettstown?

What are track speeds like out in western NJ? Any 80 mph running?
  by R36 Combine Coach

The Morristown Line isn't as scenic as Gladstone, but there are two lakes (Powder Mill Pond and Estling Lake) between Morris Plains and Dover. Between Mount Olive and Hackettstown the line passes through Allamuchy State Park.

As for the Raritan Valley, the trip takes a more rural, farm-like feel west of Raritan and to High Bridge.
  by henry6

All rides are what you make them...what do you want to see, what do you like to see, are you "railroading" or sight seeing, do you like rural settings or industrial archicteture, ancient history or contemporary technology? I have ridden all lines in the NYC area and as a railfan can reccommend each one for its own uniqueness. So, ride and see and enjoy!
  by Jtgshu

I love going west of Raritan on the RVL - the coolest thing out there is an abandoned stone house which is falling down just east of Lebanon station in the middle of a field
  by mcmannors

Today I saw 4 deer running through a field between Annandale and Lebanon while riding the RVL. Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" should have been there to film it! :-)
  by Port Jervis

sullivan1985 wrote:The Raritan is lined for a good part with an industrial (active and abandoned) land scape. Morristown line is much more suburban.
True, but once you get west of Raritan, it turns rural and agricultural very fast. Except for White House, there are few signs of concentrated civilization. Of course, if you want to see farms and stables, Gladstone is your line.
  by henry6

YEAH! The real question is, "define scenery".
  by Matt Johnson

Let me ask another question: Does the ride get faster or slower as you get out into more open country out west, with stations spaces further apart? Are the tracks our toward High Bridge or Hackettstown maintained to 80 mph standards?

I've ridden the entire Port Jervis line, and I know there's some 80 mph running there.
  by henry6

And the answer is: who cares if you are enjoying riding a train? 79mph in some spots on both lines but slow, very slow, in the last blcok to terminal.
  by blockline4180

Port Jervis wrote: Of course, if you want to see farms and stables, Gladstone is your line.
That is WEST of Bernardsville only. I don't recall seeing any horse farms or stables east of there. The eastern to middle half of the P&D is surrounded by some residental homes, lots of trees, and mainly swamp land(I guess the line goes through some of the Great Swamp west of Gillette)
  by Matt Johnson

henry6 wrote:And the answer is: who cares if you are enjoying riding a train? 79mph in some spots on both lines but slow, very slow, in the last blcok to terminal.
The faster it is, the more enjoyable! :-D It's just a shame that NJ Transit doesn't maintain any track for 100 mph running outside of the NEC.
  by R36 Combine Coach

blockline4180 wrote:
Port Jervis wrote: Of course, if you want to see farms and stables, Gladstone is your line.
That is WEST of Bernardsville only. I don't recall seeing any horse farms or stables east of there. The eastern to middle half of the P&D is surrounded by some residental homes, lots of trees, and mainly swamp land(I guess the line goes through some of the Great Swamp west of Gillette)
The Great Swamp preserve is on the north side between Stirling and Berkeley Heighs. I saw a deer there last week.