• UP locomotive Tracing

• Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.
Discussion about the Union Pacific operations past and present. Official site can be found here: UPRR.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

by kkovar

Hi everyone. I hope this is the correct forum to post this question.

I am a big time railfan. Love sitting track side taking photos. It's been a hobby for a long time. I am only 31 years old and hope to continue for a long time.

My question is that it sometimes gets frustrating sitting and waiting. I know that UP has a secure trace on their web site for registered users. This would allow you to enter a loco number and it would tell you where this train was at and where it was heading. There is a feature on their web site that is available to the public that allows you to trace auto carriers by thier equipment ID number. This is almost impossible not knowing the ID number. I wish there was a way to trace a train to know when it will arrive in my town.

So, my question is there anything out there that I can use, either on UP's web site, or somewhere else, that will show locations of freights in the Texas area. I am in Dallas. If not, is there somewhere out there that lists a roster of all the auto carriers used by UP... obviously this would be pretty frustrating to enter these numbers not knowing if they are even being used at the time.

I am just looking for something out there that will foreward me of an approaching train. Other than a "clear" signal. Please let me know if anyone knows something that could help me out.

Thanks again.

Kelly
  by UPRR engineer

Theres no access to the public for stuff like that, Sorry.