• What do you think killed the Milwaukee Road?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by AmtrakFan

What do you think killed the Milwaukee Road? I think it was when they built the Pacific Extenstion to Seattle that it was a hugh drain on resorces even though the Pacific Extenstion (someone told me this who use to work for the MILW) that it made more $$$ than the Eastern line. But lets not forget the Hill Line Merger and MILW was for it also why did they want to merger with the BN? Also who was the President when the Road went Bankrupt in 78?

AmtrakFan

by max

My recollection is that historically the Milwaukee made most of its money between Milwaukee and Chicago.

Don't know if any one thing brought about its demise. Maybe death by a thousand cuts.

by Engineer Spike

Here is a link that will explain it.

www.trainweb.org/milwaukee/article.html